Subject: CATS PhD Studentship at Edinburgh

From: Alex Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 15:05:38 +0000

Department of Computer Science
                       University of Edinburgh

                  Announcement of PhD Studentship in

             Categorical Logic in Denotational Semantics

A PhD student is sought for three years from October 1998 to work
under the supervision of Dr. Alex Simpson on an EPSRC-funded project:
Categorical Logic and Structure in Denotational Semantics. The project
will apply category theory to axiomatize the essential structure of
denotational models of programming languages. The student will work on
the derivation of program logics from category-theoretic
axiomatizations, and on the proof-theoretical analysis of such logics.

The studentship is for three years and pays for all fees and includes
maintenance (living expenses) at the usual EPSRC rate.

The studentship will be held at the Laboratory for Foundations of
Computer Science (LFCS), Department of Computer Science, University of
Edinburgh. 

The LFCS provides an ideal environment for postgraduate research. The
first six months of postgraduate training are supported by a unique
postgraduate course on the theory of computation. In addition, there
are regular short courses on advanced research topics, and a number of
forums provide weekly research seminars. The LFCS is particularly strong
in the area of semantics of programming languages.

The PhD studentship is relevant to computer science or mathematics
graduates who are interested in at least one topic from: theory of
computation, denotational semantics, logic, category theory.

For additional information contact Alex Simpson:

  [email-masked]
  http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/als/
 
For an application form write to

  Eleanor Kerse
  PhD Admissions,
  Department of Computer Science,
  University of Edinburgh,
  JCMB, King's Buildings,
  Edinburgh EH9 3JZ
  Scotland

or use the HTML form available from
 
  http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/deptinfo/admissions/phd
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alex Simpson,                               Email: [email-masked]
LFCS, Department of Computer Science,    
University of Edinburgh,            
JCMB, The King's Buildings,
Mayfield Road,                                Tel: +44 (0)131 650 5113
Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK.                       Fax: +44 (0)131 667 7209  
 
URL: http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/als/
FTP: ftp.dcs.ed.ac.uk/pub/als