Subject: categories: SECOND ANNOUNCEMENT: SMOOTH CATEGORIES IN GEOMETRY AND MECHANICS

From: F W Lawvere <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 17:45:39 -0500 (EST)

SECOND ANNOUNCEMENT
Sender: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk

	SMOOTH CATEGORIES IN GEOMETRY AND MECHANICS

	Special session of AMS Meeting No. 943 in Buffalo, N.Y.

	April 24/25, 1999

Several active researchers have already agreed to participate.  AMS Rules
stipulate that those wishing to be considered as speakers on the program 
should contact me by January 6.  Please send a title and a preliminary
abstract to
		[email-masked] edu

	The intended subject of the session includes
(a) the application of extensive categories, regular categories,
cartesian-closed categories, toposes and the like to differential
geometry, functional analysis of smooth functions and differential forms,
distributions and currents, the motion and heating of extended bodies,
electro-magnetism, ...
as well as
(b) the formulation and explanation of problems in those fields to which
such application would possibly be useful.	

*******************************************************************************
F. William Lawvere			Mathematics Dept. SUNY 
[email-masked]               106 Diefendorf Hall
716-829-2144  ext. 117		        Buffalo, N.Y. 14214, USA

*******************************************************************************