Subject: categories: BRICS Int. PhD School: Call for Admission and Grant Applications

From: Uffe Henrik Engberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 21:06:59 +0100 (MET)

[Please accept our apologies if you receive this more than once]

                                                   B R I C S
                                                   International PhD School
                                                   in Computer Science
                                                   University of Aarhus
                                                   Denmark
Call for Admission and Grant Applications

This is a call for admission and  grant applications from students to BRICS
International PhD   School in Computer  Science   at University  of Aarhus,
Denmark.  The  call  is  aimed   at students  starting  August  1999,  with
application deadline January 15th, 1999.

BRICS  International PhD School is an  integrated part  of the BRICS (Basic
Research in Computer Science) Research  Centre, and both  are funded by the
Danish National Research  Foundation. The   school admits 10-15    students
(Danish and   foreign) annually, and  it provides   a substantial number of
student grants.

The core areas of  the PhD School  are: Semantics of Computation; Logic  in
Computer   Science;  Computational   Complexity;  Design  and  Analysis  of
Algorithms; Programming Languages; Distributed Computing; Verification; and
Data Security and Cryptology.

The PhD school will  provide its students with  a  solid background in  the
theoretical  foundation  of  computer science,  and  centred  around  BRICS
activities. From  this foundation, the  students may either continue in one
of  the core areas or venture into  areas of a more applied or experimental
nature as possible areas of thesis specialisation.

The PhD School wishes to recruit PhD students  of the highest international
standards.  It provides an   excellent research environment  and scientific
training facilities, and aims at making its  PhD graduates attractive for a
wide spectrum of employers - in private and public research and development
institutions, both in Denmark and abroad.

So, if you are a student with at least four years of full-time study by the
summer of 1999,   highly motivated and well   prepared for a   PhD study in
computer  science within a  truly international environment, please send us
an application  following the instructions below.  For more details, please
visit
                           http://www.brics.dk,

or contact us by e-mail at [email-masked].

Also,  we would appreciate your  passing on this  information to interested
students and colleagues at your university or research institute.

BRICS

The Research Centre BRICS (Basic  Research In Computer Science) was founded
in 1994  by the Danish National Research  Foundation at the Universities of
Aarhus and Aalborg.  BRICS is a centre of  basic research  in Algorithmics,
Logic and Semantics, and has a  scientific staff of  30 (permanent and long
term visitors), and around 100 short term visitors annually.

Admission Prerequisites and Study Structure

Admission is based  on knowledge corresponding  to four years of  full-time
studies, including basic courses in  programming and programming languages,
computer   systems, algorithms    and data  structures,  computability  and
mathematics (this list will be interpreted in a flexible way).

The time allocated for the  PhD studies is a  further four years, where the
first  two  years  include some   mandatory course  work   and introductory
research, concluded by a qualifying examination, whereas the last two years
are dedicated to  the writing of the  thesis, finishing with a defence. All
students admitted to the  school will enter  this study structure. We  may,
however, take into account merits from previous study.

Students  are  normally  admitted   for the  semester  start September 1st.
--- but admission may  take place throughout  the year.

PhD Student Grants

The school offers student grants of different types:

1. tuition waiver and full studentship
2. tuition waiver and partial studentship
3. tuition waiver

Only a limited amount of type 1. grants are available.

How to apply

1. Fill in the application form on

     http://www.brics.dk/PhDSchool/Application.html

   Alternatively, send an e-mail to [email-masked] with subject
   "PhD Application" including:

   - your full name, personal address and phone number, college /
     university, URL of home page (if applicable), and e-mail address,

   - in case you apply for grants from the PhD School, the type of your
     application (see above - for details see http://www.brics.dk).

2. Send by ordinary mail to the address below

   - a covering letter, including the information from your application
     form/e-mail,
   - a short curriculum vitae,
   - complete official transcripts from colleges or universities,
     documenting minimally four years of full time study,
   - names of three people whom we may ask for letters of recommendation,
   - an indication of your motivation for a PhD study, and particular
     research area of initial interest (max two pages).

Applications  for admission August  1st, 1999   should be sent  as soon  as
possible and  before January  15th, 1999.  Decisions will  be announced  in
March, 1999.

Postal Address

   BRICS International PhD School
   Department of Computer Science
   University of Aarhus
   Ny Munkegade, Bldg. 540
   DK-8000 Aarhus C
   Denmark
  
   Phone: +45 8942 3264
   Fax:   +45 8942 3255