Subject: categories: Paper available

From: Marta Bunge <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 08:24:52 -0400

This is to announce a new paper, by

   Marta Bunge and Marcelo Fiore, "Unique factorization Lifting Functors
and Categories of Processes".

        http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/~mf/CONCURRENCY/ufl.dvi

	http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/~mf/CONCURRENCY/ufl.ps

The paper is organised as follows. After an Introduction, Section 1
presents background material motivated from the point of view of computer
science.  In Section 2, the category UFL of unique factorisation lifting
(ufl) functors is recalled and its basic properties are studied. Section 3
explores applications of ufl functors to concurrency.  In particular we
show that they may be used in the study of interleaving models like
transition systems.  In Section 4, we introduce triangulated categories.
Our main use for them is in Section 5 where, for C a triangulated category,
we exhibit the category UFL/C as a sheaf topos. These toposes may be
regarded as models of linearly-controlled processes.  Some
concluding remarks are provided in Section 6.

Professor Marta Bunge
McGill University
Department of Mathematics & Statistics
Burnside Hall
805 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, QC
Canada H3A 2K6

Fax: (514) 933 8741
Phone: (514) 933 6191