Subject: categories: Unicode for math symbols (forwarded)

From: Charles Wells <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 14:47:56 -0500

We have a unique chance over the next few weeks to influence various
international standards bodies in presenting a complete set of mathematical
and other scientific characters for inclusion in standard character sets.
Much of the work for this has already been done, but there remain some
problem characters on which we really need the help of the author community
to describe uses and distinctions from other similar characters. Further
details are available from the math society web site at:

       http://www.ams.org/STIX/glyphs/proposal/newsub/challenge.html

The AMS has set a November 20 deadline for receipt of this information,
so there is not much time to act. Thanks for your help!

	Arthur Smith ([email-masked])
	Research & Development, The American Physical Society
	(516)591-4072

Charles Wells, Department of Mathematics, Case Western Reserve University,
10900 Euclid Ave., Cleveland, OH 44106-7058, USA.
EMAIL: [email-masked]. OFFICE PHONE: 216 368 2893.
FAX: 216 368 5163.  HOME PHONE: 440 774 1926.  
HOME PAGE: URL http://www.cwru.edu/artsci/math/wells/home.html