Subject: Re: categories: category theory and probability theory

From: "Amilcar Sernadas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:06:42 +0100

We are working on a related problem. It seems that it is necessary to work
with
a relaxed notion of category, namely where the compostion of
f:a->b and g:b->c is not always defined. You should look at relaxed
notions of category such as composition graphs, paracategories,
precategories
and the like.

On our own preliminary results look at the working paper

P. Mateus, A. Sernadas and C. Sernadas. Combining Probabilistic Automata:
Categorial Characterization. Research Report, April 1998. Presented at the
FIREworks Meeting, Magdeburg, May 15-16, 1998

that you can fetch from

http://www.cs.math.ist.utl.pt/s84.www/cs/pmat.html

Amilcar Sernadas

-----Original Message-----
From: jean-pierre-C. <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Quarta-feira, 21 de Outubro de 1998 0:19
Subject: categories: category theory and probability theory

>
>  Bonjour. I am a statistician and I should be interested in a categorical
>framework for probability and statistical theory. Does anyone know
>references (books, articles, websites...) about applications of categories
>and functors to probability or even measure theory ? Thank you.
>
>                                           Very truly yours,
>
>                                           Jean-Pierre Cotton.
>