Subject: Generic Programming Workshop: Final Call

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 15:56:10 -0400 (AST)

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 17:15:40 +0100 (MET)
From: Roland Backhouse <[email-masked]>

                      Final Call for Papers

                  Workshop on Generic Programming

                 June 18th 1998, Marstrand, Sweden

    (In Conjunction with Mathematics of Program Construction Conference)

           ----------------------------------------------
           Deadline for submissions: 16th February, 1998.
           ----------------------------------------------

Generic programming is about making programs more adaptable by making them more
general.  A generic program embodies some sort of polymorphism; ordinary 
programs are obtained from it by suitably instantiating its parameters. The
parameters may be other programs, types or type constructors, or even 
programming paradigms.

Generic programming techniques have always been of interest, both to 
practitioners and theoreticians, but to date have rarely been a specific 
focus of research.  Recent developments in functional and 
object-oriented programming lead the organizers of this workshop to believe 
that there is sufficient interest to warrant the organisation of a one-day
workshop on the theme of generic programming.  The workshop will be on 
June 18th, 1998, following on from the Mathematics of Program Construction 
conference.  

The goal of the workshop is to inventorise the full diversity of research 
activities in the area of generic programming, both theoretical and applied, 
by attracting as wide a spectrum of participants as possible to the workshop. 
The results of the workshop will be published in the form of a detailed summary
of all presentations, prepared by the organizers and made available on 
internet.

We cordially invite all those with an active interest in this important new 
area to submit a short position paper on their work to Roland Backhouse
([email-masked]).  The position paper should outline your current research
activities in this area and include references to published papers and/or 
web links to technical reports where more information can be found.  
The recommended length is approximately three pages.  The
deadline for submission is 16th February, 1998.   Notification of acceptance 
will be on or before 15th March, 1998.

The organizers are as follows:

Roland Backhouse (Cochair), Netherlands   Tim Sheard (Cochair), USA
Robin Cockett, Canada                     Barry Jay, Australia
Johan Jeuring, Sweden                     Karl Lieberherr, USA                
Oege de Moor, UK                          Bernhard Moeller, Germany
Jose Oliveira, Portugal                   Fritz Ruehr, USA

For further details on the Mathematics of Program Construction and this 
workshop please consult:

             http://www.md.chalmers.se/Conf/MPC98/