Subject: ICM'98 Second Announcement

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 14:58:27 -0400 (AST)

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 12:04:37 +0100
From: Christoph Helmberg <[email-masked]>

Dear Colleague:

The Organizing Committee is pleased to announce the availability of

                     The Second Announcement of

            THE INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF MATHEMATICIANS  
 
                     BERLIN, August 18-27, 1998

It can be retrieved from the homepage of the Congress with URL:

    http://elib.zib.de/ICM98
    
ICM'98 is one of the quadrennial congresses held under the auspices of the 
International Mathematical Union (IMU). Mathematicians from all countries 
gather to discuss recent developments in mathematics that are presented by 
leading scientists from all mathematical fields. Responsibility for the 
scientific program lies with the Program Committee appointed by IMU. There 
will be 21 one-hour Plenary Lectures covering the major areas of mathematics 
and about 160 forty-five-minute Invited Lectures in nineteen sections. 

The Fields Medals and the Nevanlinna Prize will be awarded during the Opening 
Ceremony on the first day of the Congress. This will take place in the 
International Congress Center Berlin (ICC). All other scientific events will 
be held at Technische Universitaet Berlin. No scientific activities are 
scheduled for Sunday, August 23.

The Second Announcement of ICM'98 describes the scientific program and the 
social events of the Congress and gives instructions on how to complete the 
registration process and obtain accommodation. It contains a call for 
contributed short presentations, and provides guidelines regarding the 
submission of abstracts. 

The Second Announcement also includes advice on how to proceed upon arrival 
at airports and railway stations, and it will be accompanied by a brochure 
describing the day trips and tours organized by a professional tour and 
congress organizer. 

Postscript and LaTeX versions of the Second Announcement can be obtained 
from the WWW with URL: 

    http://elib.zib.de/ICM98/Second_Announcement

or by anonymous ftp from elib.zib.de in the subdirectory
pub/IMU/HTML/ICM98/Second_Announcement. The files of interest are

scndannc.ps     Announcement         Postscript     DIN A4
us_scnda.ps                          Postscript     US-paper
scndannc.tex                         LaTeX          (no maps)
reg-form.ps     Registration Form    Postscript     DIN A4
us_regf.ps                           Postscript     US-paper
wordregf.doc                         MS-Word 6.0

We look forward to welcoming you at ICM'98 in Berlin.

Christoph Helmberg (for the ICM'98 Organizing Committee)