Subject: 5th WoLLIC'98 - 2nd Call

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 17:32:43 -0400 (AST)

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 17:12:29 -0300 (EST)
From: Ruy de Queiroz <[email-masked]>

                        Second Call for Contributions

        5th Workshop on Logic, Language, Information and Computation
       	                      (WoLLIC'98)
                           July 28-31, 1998
 !  TUTORIALS   >>     (Tutorial Day: July 28th)       <<   TUTORIALS !
                       IME-USP, Sao Paulo, Brazil

The "5th Workshop on Logic, Language, Information and Computation" (WoLLIC'98),
the fifth version of a series of workshops which started in 1994 with the aim
of fostering interdisciplinary research in pure and applied logic, will be held
in Sao Paulo, Brazil, from July 28th to 31st 1998.  Contributions are invited
in the form of short papers (6 10pt pages or 1800 words) in all areas related
to logic, language, information and computation, including: pure logical
systems, proof theory, model theory, algebraic logic, type theory,
category theory, constructive mathematics, lambda and combinatorial calculi,
program logic and program semantics, logics and models of concurrency,
logic and complexity theory, nonclassical logics, nonmonotonic logic,
logic and language, discourse representation, logic and artificial
intelligence, automated deduction, foundations of logic programming,
logic and computation, and logic engineering.

The 5th WoLLIC'98 has the scientific sponsorship of the Interest Group in
Pure and Applied Logics (IGPL), the European Association for Logic, Language
and Information (FoLLI), the Association for Symbolic Logic (ASL),
the Sociedade Brasileira de Computacao (SBC), and the Sociedade Brasileira de
Logica (SBL).

There will be a number of guest speakers, including:
Sergei Artemov (Moscow State Univ, Russia) (CONFIRMED),
Sam Buss (Univ Calif San Diego, US) (CONFIRMED),
Edmund Clarke (Carnegie-Mellon Univ, US) (CONFIRMED),
Heinz Dieter Ebbinghaus (Universitaet Freiburg, Germany) (CONFIRMED),
Michael Fourman (Edinburgh Univ, UK) (CONFIRMED),
Ehud Hrushovski (Hebrew Univ Jerusalem, Israel) (*),
Hans Kamp (Stuttgart Univ, Germany) (CONFIRMED),
Phokion Kolaitis (Univ Calif Santa Cruz, US) (*),
Valeria de Paiva (Birmingham Univ, UK) (CONFIRMED),
Maarten de Rijke (Warwick Univ, UK) (CONFIRMED),
Giovanni Sambin (Padoa Univ, Italy) (CONFIRMED).

(*) TO BE CONFIRMED

Submission:
Papers (sent preferably in LaTeX format by e-mail to ** [email-masked] **,
or in 5(five) copies to postal address) must be RECEIVED by APRIL 3rd, 1998 by
one of the Co-Chairs of the Organising Committee. Papers must be written in
English and give enough detail to allow the programme committee to assess the
merits of the work.  Papers should start with a brief statement of the issues,
a summary of the main results, and a statement of their significance and
relevance to the workshop. References and comparisons with related work is also
expected. Technical development directed to the specialist should follow.
Results must be unpublished and not submitted for publication elsewhere,
including the proceedings of other symposia or workshops. One author of each
accepted paper will be expected to attend the conference in order to present
it. Authors will be notified of acceptance by MAY 15th, 1998. The abstracts of
the papers will be published in a "Conference Report" section of the Logic
Journal of the IGPL (ISSN 1367-0751) (Oxford Univ Press) as part of the meeting
report.  Papers presented at the meeting will be invited for submission (in
full version) to the Logic Journal of the IGPL
(http://www.oup.co.uk/jnls/igpl/).

The WoLLIC'98 is hosted by Universidade de Sao Paulo (USP), and will take place
at the Mathematics and Statistics Institute (IME).

Programme Committee:
Andreas Blass (Michigan Univ, USA), Itala D'Ottaviano (Univ Campinas, BR),
J. Michael Dunn (Indiana Univ, USA), Wilfrid Hodges (Queen Mary Coll, UK),
Francisco Miraglia (Univ Sao Paulo, BR), Luiz Carlos Pereira (Cathol Univ Rio,
BR), Andrew Pitts (Cambridge Univ, UK), Amir Pnueli (Weizmann Inst, Israel).

Organising Committee:
L. S. C. Baptista (UFPE/UFPB), M. Finger (USP), E. Hermann Haeusler (PUC-Rio),
A. C. V. de Melo (USP), A. G. de Oliveira (UFBA/UFPE), R. de Queiroz (UFPE),
F. C. da Silva (USP).

For further information, contact the Co-Chairs of the Organising Committee:
Ruy de Queiroz, Departamento de Informatica, Univ. Federal de Pernambuco,
CP 7851, 50732-970 Recife, PE, Brazil, e-mail: [email-masked],
tel.: (+55 81) 271 8430, fax: (+55 81) 271 8438.
Marcelo Finger, Departamento de Ciencia da Computacao, Instituto de
Matematica e Estatistica, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Rua do Matao 1010,
05508-900 Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil, e-mail: [email-masked],
tel.: (+55 11) 818 6287, fax: (+55 11) 818 6134.

Web page: http://www.ime.usp.br/~wollic