Subject: PhD Studentships

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 15:00:30 -0400 (AST)

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 12:09:28 GMT
From: [email-masked]

Dear Colleagues,

I would be grateful if you could publicize the following 
studentship advertisement.

Thank you,
Roy Crole.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Leicester University UK

DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS & COMPUTER SCIENCE

3 PH.D. STUDENTSHIPS IN MATHEMATICS OR COMPUTER SCIENCE 

Applications are invited for three fully funded research studentships
leading to the degree of PhD in any aspect of Mathematics or Computer
Science.  The studentships are available for studies beginning in
October 1998.  Applicants should have, or expect to have, a first or
upper second class degree in the relevant subject area.

The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science is divided into
three groups: Computer Science, Pure Mathematics and Applicable
Mathematics.  The Pure Mathematics Group carries out research in
several major branches of algebra.  The key areas of expertise are in:
the theory of groups and their representations; algebraic topology and
its applications; the theory of rings and their modules; and the
representation theory and cohomology of finite dimensional algebras.
The Applicable Mathematics Group focuses mainly on numerical analysis,
and in particular on: approximation theory; the numerical solution of
ordinary and partial differential equations; and integral equations.
There is also research undertaken on statistics.  Research in the
Computer Science Group has three main themes: logic, algebra and
complexity; the theory of distributed systems; and semantics. There is
an active Graduate Programme.

The studentships will be awarded to the best three applicants
regardless of subject area.  Candidates should identify their
preferred area of research and supervisor.  Details of the possible
areas of research and supervisors are available via the Departmental
web pages [http://www.mcs.le.ac.uk] or the Department's Postgraduate
Brochure.  The Postgraduate Brochure, application forms and further
details are available from Dr. S.J. Ambler, Department of Mathematics
and Computer Science, Leicester University, University Road, Leicester
LE1 7RH (telephone: 0116 252 3406, email: [email-masked]).

The closing date for applications is 1st May 1998.