Subject: MFCS'98 CFPW

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 09:54:39 -0400 (AST)

Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 14:38:43 +0100 (MET)
From: Jiri Rosicky <[email-masked]>

*******************************************************************************
*******************************************************************************
**                                                                           **
**                               M F C S  ' 9 8                              **
**                                                                           **
**                                                                           **
**                    Call for Papers, Call for Workshops                    **
**                The Current List of Workshops and Tutorials                **
**                                                                           **
**                                                                           **
**                    The 23rd International Symposium on                    **
**                Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science               **
**                                                                           **
**                  August 24-28, 1998, Brno, Czech Republic                 **
**                                                                           **
**                                                                           **
*******************************************************************************
*******************************************************************************

MFCS'98 is organised by the Faculty of Informatics of Masaryk University in
cooperation with universities in Aachen, Hagen, Linz, Pisa, Szeged, Wien, and
other institutions.

MFCS'98 will be held 25 years after the first MFCS meeting in Czechoslovakia at
Strbske pleso. MFCS'73 is remembered for taking a very broad, advanced, and
stimulating view of the theoretical foundations of computing, and for the high
scientific and organisational standard. MFCS'98 is intended to be another step
along these lines.

Programme Committee: S. Abramsky (Edinburgh), B. Buchberger (Linz), J. Diaz
(Barcelona), V. Diekert (Stuttgart), J. Gruska, co-chair (Brno), I. Guessarian
(Paris), T. Henzinger (Berkeley), R. J. Lipton (Princeton), G. Mirkowska (Pau),
F. Moller (Uppsala), U. Montanari (Pisa), J. Nesetril (Prague), M. Paterson
(Warwick), G. Paun (Bucharest), J. Sgall (Prague), W. Thomas (Kiel), J. Tiuryn
(Warsaw), U. Vaccaro (Salerno), P. Vitanyi (Amsterdam), P. Voda (Bratislava), 
M. Wirsing (Munich), J.  Zlatuska, co-chair (Brno).}

Principal topics of interest include (but are not limited to): design and
analysis of algorithms (sequential, parallel, distributed, approximation,
computational biology, computational geometry, graph, network, number theory,
on-line, optimisation) and data structures, automata, grammars and formal
languages, complexity (communication, computational, descriptional) and
computability, concurrency theory, cryptography and security, databases and
knowledge-based systems, foundations of programming, formal specifications and
program development, models of computation, parallel and distributed computing,
quantum computing, molecular computing, semantics and logics of programs,
theoretical issues in artifical intelligence.

Invited talks of broad and stimulating orientation are offered, consistent with
the more than quarter-century tradition of MFCS.  Speakers: G. Ausiello (Rome),
E. Borger (Pisa), Y. Gurevich (Ann Arbor), D. Harel (Rehovot), R.M. Karp
(Seattle), F.T. Leighton (MIT-Cambridge), W. Maass (Graz), Yu. Matiyasevich
(Petersburg), K. Mehlhorn (Saarbrucken), S. Micali (MIT-Cambridge), M. Nielsen
(Aarhus), A. Pnueli (Rehovot), P. Pudlak (Prague), C. Stirling (Edinburgh), 
J. Wiedermann (Prague), M. Yannakakis (Murray Hill).

MFCS'98 will have several tutorials and workshops.  Proposals can be sent to 
PC co-chairs. The current list of workshops and tutorials is included below.

The CSL'98 conference (Computer Science Logic) will be held in parallel with
MFCS'98 at the same place. The federated CSL/MFCS conference will have common
plenary sessions and social events. Participants registering for one conference
can attend talks of both conferences and parallel workshops.

Contact persons:  Antonin Kucera (PC secretary)
                  Jan Staudek (OC chair)

Address:
                  MFCS'98, Faculty of Informatics, Masaryk University
                  Botanicka 68a, 60200 Brno, Czech Republic
                  tel: ++420-5-4151 2336, fax: ++420-5-4121 2568
                  e-mail: {gruska,kucera,staudek,zlatuska,[email-masked]}}
             
WWW:              http://www.fi.muni.cz/mfcs98/

Costs: The conference fee will be very reasonable as well as daily expenses 
(see the www page for details). The accommodation prices range from 
business-like level to very modest. Students will be able to participate at 
a very low cost. The best student papers will be specially recognised. The 
social programme will include a reception, an excursion to nearby attractions,
a conference dinner, and activities for accompanying persons.

First deadline: The first deadline is the usual one. Accepted papers go to the
hard copy proceedings. Authors are invited to submit an extended abstract not
exceeding 10 LNCS pages. Papers are thoroughly reviewed, double submissions
other than those explicitly mentioned by MFCS/CSL PC are not allowed (see the
www page for details).

       Submission:      March 20, 1998
       Notification:    May 20, 1998

Second deadline: The second deadline is for `wild tiger' session (last minute
hot topics). Accepted papers will appear in electronic proceedings. Authors are
invited to send an abstract not exceeding 5 pages. The emphasis is on
attractiveness of potential talks. There is no restriction on double
submissions.

       Submission:      July 1, 1998
       Notification:    August 1, 1998

All submission should be done electronically using special www forms.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*******************************************************************************
*******************************************************************************
**                                                                           **
**                                                                           **
**                       MFCS'98 Workshops and Tutorials                     **
**                                                                           **
**                    The 23rd International Symposium on                    **
**                Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science               **
**                                                                           **
**                  August 21-30, 1998, Brno, Czech Republic                 **
**                                                                           **
**                                 TENTATIVE                                 **
**                                                                           **
**                                                                           **
*******************************************************************************
*******************************************************************************

CCA'98 - Workshop on Computability and Complexity (August, 24-27) 
------------------------------------------------------------------

All aspects of computability and computational complexity with emphasis on 
the Turing machine model of computation.

PC: Ker-I Ko (Stony Brook), A. Nerode (Cornell University), M. Pour-El
(Minnessota), K. Weihrauch (chair, Hagen), J. Wiedermann (Prague).

Deadline: May 25, 1998
Contact:  [email-masked]

FICS'98 - Fixed Points in Computer Science (August 27-28)
----------------------------------------------------------

Construction and reasoning about properties of fixed points in various models,
algebras, and logics.

PC: R. Backhouse (Eindhoven), S.L. Bloom (Hoboken), C. Boehm (Rome), R. De
Nicola (Florence), Z. Esik (chair, Szeged), P. Freyd (Philadelphia), I.
Guessarian (Paris), D. Kozen (Cornell), W. Kuich (Vienna), M. Mislove (Tulane),
R.F.C. Walters (Sydney).

Deadline: May 25, 1998
Contact:  [email-masked]

Frontiers between Decidability and Undecidability (August 24-25) 
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Frontiers between decidable and undecidable (halting) problems in various
computational settings.

PC: J. Gabarro (Barcelona), I. Korec (Bratislava), Yu. Rogozhin (Kishinev), M.
Margenstern (co-chair, Metz), G. Mauri (Milan), K. Morita (co-chair, 
Hiroshima), G. Paun (Bucharest).

Deadline: May 25, 1998
Contact:  [email-masked]

MFCS'98 Workshop on Communications (August 24-25)
--------------------------------------------------

Communication complexity, communication algorithms in networks, interactive and
zero-knowledge proofs, cryptography and cryptographical protocols.

PC: M. Dietzfelbinger (Dortmund), P. Duris (Bratislava), J. Hromkovic (chair,
Aachen), A. Liesman (Burnaby), A. Pelz (Quebec), G. Schnitger (Frankfurt), 
J. Sgall (Prague), W. Unger (Paderborn)

Deadline: May 15, 1998
Contact:  [email-masked]

MFCS'98 Workshop on Concurrency (August 27-28)
-----------------------------------------------

Decidability and complexity issues, model checking, software tools for 
modelling and verification of concurrent systems, verification of 
infinite-state processes.

PC: A. Bouajjani (Grenoble), J. Bradfield (Edinburgh), W. Brauer (Munich), 
P. Jancar (co-chair, Ostrava), M. Kretinsky (co-chair, Brno), M. Nielsen 
(Aarhus), C. Stirling (Edinburgh).

Deadline: May 25, 1998
Contact:  [email-masked]

MFCS'98 Workshop on Grammar Systems (August 22-23)
--------------------------------------------------

Cooperating/distributed grammar systems, colonies, team grammar systems,
eco-grammar systems, network and language processors.

PC: E. Csuhaj-Varju (Budapest), J. Dassow (Magdeburg), J. Kelemen
(Bratislava/Opava), A. Kelemenova (chair, Opava), G. Paun (Bucharest, Turku), 
D. Wotschke (Franfurkt).

Deadline: May 31, 1998
Contact:  [email-masked]

Molecular Computing (August 24-26)
-----------------------------------

Any theoretical computer science directions of research on the possible use of
DNA as a support for computation.

PC: C. Calude (Auckland), T. Head (Binghamton), L. Kari (London-Ontario), 
K. Krithivasan (Madras), G. Paun (chair, Bucharest), T. Yokomori (Tokyo).

Deadline: May 25, 1998
Contact:  [email-masked]

Randomized Algorithms (August 26-28)
------------------------------------

Design and analysis of randomized algorithms, derandomization, randomized
complexity classes.

PC: S. Arikawa (Fukuoka), S. Arora (Princeton), H. Buhrman (Amsterdam),
C. Calude (Auckland), L. Fortnow (Chicago), R. Freivalds (chair, Riga), 
J. Hromkovic (Aachen), R. Impagliazzo (San Diego), L. Kucera (Prague), Ming
Li (Waterloo), A. Lingas (Lund), S.  Rajasekaran (Gainesville), J. Rolim
(Geneva), O. Watanabe (Tokyo), R. Wiehagen (Kaiserslautern), T. Zeugmann
(Fukuoka)

Deadline: March 20, 1998
Contact:  [email-masked]

Weak Arithmetic (August 27-28)
------------------------------

Weak arithmetics, complexity of logical theories, complexity of algorithms in
number theory, recursive analysis.

PC: P. Cegielski (chair, Paris), I. Korec (Bratislava), Y. Matyiasevich
(Petersburg), D. Richard (Clermont-Ferrand).

Deadline: March 20, 1998
Contact:  [email-masked]

Xth Peripathetic Seminar on Sheaves and Logic, X >= 66 (August 29-30)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Category theory, sheaves, logic, applications to computer science.

PC: none

Deadline: August 29, 1998
Contact:  [email-masked]

*******************************************************************************
*******************************************************************************
**                                                                           **
**                                                                           **
**                             MFCS'98 Tutorials                             **
**                                                                           **
**                                                                           **
*******************************************************************************
*******************************************************************************

Abstract state machines
-----------------------

    by E. Borger (Pisa) and Yu. Gurevich  (Ann Arbor).

Approximation algorithms
------------------------

    by P.L. Crescenzi (Florence), J. Diaz (Barcelona), 
    and A.M. Spaccamela (Rome).

Quantum logic and quantum computing
-----------------------------------

    by K. Svozil (Wien) and A. Barenko (Geneva).

The Theorema system: An introduction with demos
-----------------------------------------------

    by B. Buchberger and T. Jebelan (RISC -- Linz).

*******************************************************************************
*******************************************************************************
**                                                                           **
**       For additional information see http://www.fi.muni.cz/mfcs98/        **
**                                                                           **
**                                                                           **
**                ***         END of this message         ***                **
**                                                                           **
**                                                                           **
*******************************************************************************
*******************************************************************************

----- End of forwarded message from Jozef Gruska -----