Subject: Research Position at Sussex

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 14:35:14 -0400 (AST)

Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 09:53:54 +0000 (GMT)
From: Matthew Hennessy <[email-masked]>

                       UNIVERSITY OF SUSSEX
            
            RESEARCH FELLOW IN THE FOUNDATIONS OF COMPUTING

One Research Fellow is required  to join the EPSRC funded project
entitled ``Foundations for the Integration of Concurrent Distributed
and Functional Computation'', under the direction of
Matthew Hennessy.

The aim of the project is to 

- provide a uniform coherent semantic foundation for concurrent,
distributed and functional behaviour;

- develop proof methodologies for establishing properties of process
descriptions expressed in specification languages using these
paradigms;

- develop prototypes of supporting verification systems.

The project has already been running for approximately 18 months
and work has concentrated on two streams of research:

     - development of languages, type systems and behavioural 
       theories for mobile computing, where independent processes roam
       widely distributed networks in search of resources and information.
    
     - denotational models for languages combining higher-order
       functional notation with the pi-calculus (examples include
       Cml and core Facile)

The successful candidate will be expected to carry out research 
related to one of these topics. The appointment will be for a period
of two years, starting on 1/04/98,  and salary will be related to the
academic 1A scale. A Ph.D. in Computer Science or Mathematics or
equivalent experience is required. In addition to normal research
duties the successful candidate will be expected to provide some 
assistance to undergraduate teaching.

More details of the project and the conditions of service are available
at ftp://ftp.cogs.sussex.ac.uk/pub/users/matthewh/details.ps.gz

To apply please submit applications to 

Prof M Hennessy
School of COGS
University of Sussex
Falmer
Brighton BN1 9QH
UK

Tel: +44 01273 678101                      
email: [email-masked]

Applications should include 
    - a detailed curriculum vitae, 
    - names of three referees with their email addresses, 
    - a statement  outlining the candidates proposed contribution
      to the goals of the project,
    - copies (or URL references) of any relevant publications.