Subject: Journals

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 13:34:05 -0400 (AST)

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 16:46:32 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Barr <[email-masked]>

I recently received (but just read because of the power outages) a letter
inviting me, along with a great many of you, to become an editor of a new
journal published by Kluwer on homological, homotopical and categorical
algebra.  I attach my reply.

Michael

====================================================================
>From [email-masked] Tue Jan 20 16:40:24 1998
Status: O
X-Status:
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 16:40:17 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Barr <[email-masked]>
To: Hvedri Inassaridze <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: journal
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII

I am not participating in any journal published by a commercial publisher,
either as author, refereee or editor.  I make an exception for JPAA, but
only for historical reasons and even there I will neither be an author nor
referee.  This is a protest against the price gouging that the commercial
publishers, and Kluwer is one of the worst, have engaged in in recent
years.  Moreover, my univerity will not subscribe to any new commercial
journal.

Michael Barr