Subject: preprint available

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 09:19:15 -0300 (ADT)

Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 14:47:02 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Koslowski <[email-masked]>

Dear Colleagues,

An updated preprint of my paper "Beyond the Chu-construction", which
I presented in Vancouver in July, is now available on my web-page

	http://www.iti.cs.tu-bs.de/TI-INFO/koslowj/koslowski.html

The abstract follows below.

  From a symmetric monoidal closed (= autonomous) category Po-Hsiang
  Chu originally constructed a *-autonomous one, ie, a self-dual
  autonomous category where the duality is realized by means of a
  dualizing object.  Recently, Michael Barr introduced an extension
  for the non-symmetric, but closed, case that after an initial step
  utilized monads and modules between them.  Since these tools are
  well-understood in a bicategorical setting, we introduce a notion
  of local *-autonomy for closed bicategories that turns out to
  be inherited by the bicategories of monads and the bicategory of
  interpolads.  Since the first step of Barr's construction carries
  over directly to the bicategorical setting, we recover his main
  result as an easy corollary.  Furthermore, the Chu-construction at
  this level may be viewed as a procedure to turn the endo-1-cells of
  a bicategory into the objects of a new bicategory, and hence is
  conceptually close to the constructions of bicategories of monads
  and of interpolads.

Best regards,

-- J"urgen

-- 
J"urgen Koslowski       % If I don't see you no more in this world
ITI                     % I meet you in the next world
TU Braunschweig         % and don't be late!
[email-masked] %              Jimi Hendrix (Voodoo Child)