Subject: Lambekfest

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 18:54:45 -0300 (ADT)

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 14:35:50 -0400
From: Michael Barr <[email-masked]>

    Jim Lambek's colleagues, former students, and friends will host a
one day conference in his honour on the occasion of his 75th birthday.

Date: Friday December 5, 1997.
Place: Room B45, Burnside Hall, McGill University, Montreal.

    In recognition of Jim's substantial contributions to ring theory,
category theory and mathematical linguistics, the tentative program is:

Program. 10:00-10:30 Welcoming remarks and biographical sketch
         10:30-11:00 Break
         11:00-12:00 David Handelman, University of Ottawa.
         12:00- 2:00 Lunch
          2.00- 3:00 Robert Pare, Dalhousie University.
          3:00- 3:30 Tea
          3:30- 4:30 V. Michele Abrusci, Universita di Bari, Italy.
          6:30-      Banquet

    Registration:  The entire mathematical community is welcome to
attend, and Lambek's former colleagues and students are particularly
encouraged to do so.
    Registration fees will cover the cost of the banquet and of a gift
for Professor Lambek.  Couples are encouraged to attend.

    The  cost for one person is $60 and for two is $100.  In order to be
able to organize the banquet, please register by November 15.

    People who wish to contribute to the gift without coming to the
banquet are invited to send $20.

    Cheques payable to McGill University should be mailed to
         Elaine Tremblay
         Dept. of Math. & Stats.
         McGill University
         805 Sherbrooke St., West
         Montreal, QC H3A 2K6
         Canada

Please indicate if you prefer vegetarian food.
Hotels: The hotels and motels listed at the end are located near McGill
and offer lower academic rates.

                               The organizing committee.
                               Michael Barr, McGill University,
                               Robert Raphael, Concordia University,
                               Georg Schmidt, McGill University.

J. Lambek fetera son 75'ieme anniversaire ce decembre prochain. A cette
occasion ses collegues, ses anciens etudiants et ses amis vous proposent
un colloque en son honneur.

Date: vendredi le 5 decembre 1997.

Lieu: Salle B45, Pavillon Burnside, Universite McGill, Montreal.

   Afin de refleter les contributions importantes de J. Lambek dans la
theorie des anneaux, la theorie des categories, ainsi que dans la
linguistique mathematique, nous suggerons le programme suivant:

   10;00-10;30  Mots de bienvenue et esquisse biographique,
   10;30-11;00  Pause,
   11;00-12;00  David Handelman, Universite d"Ottawa
   12;00-2;00  Lunch
   14;00-15;00 Robert Pare, Universite Dalhousie,
   15;00-15;30 the
   15;30-16;30 V. Michele Abrusci, Universita de Bari, Italie,
   18;30  Banquet

  Inscription: Toute la communaute mathematique est invitee:la presence
des anciens
collegues et etudiants de Lambek est particulierement sollicitee.
 Les frais d'inscription comprennent  le banquet et un
cadeau qui sera offert a M. Lambek. Les couples sont les bienvenus.
 Les frais sont de $60 pour une personne et de $100 pour un couple. Ceux
qui desirent contribuer au cadeau sans toutefois assister au banquet
peuvent faire parvenir un cheque au montant de $20.
 Pour faciliter l'organisation du banquet nous vous prions de vous
inscrire avant le 15 novembre.
 Les cheques -a l'ordre de l'Universite McGill-doivent etre addresses a
  Mme. Elaine Tremblay,
  Department de Mathematiques et Statistiques,
  Universite McGill,
  805 Sherbrooke ouest
  Montreal H3A 2K6.

Priere d'indiquer votre preference pour un repas vegetarien.

Accomodation: Les hotets et motels suivants se trouvent a proximite de
l'Universite McGill et offrent des tarifs reduits aux universitaires.

                               Le comite de planification
                               Michael Barr, McGill University,
                               Robert Raphael, Concordia University,
                               Georg Schmidt, McGill University.

                    Ritz-Carlton Kempinski Montreal
    The Ritz-Carlton Kempinski Montreal is a five-star deluxe property,
minutes away from McGill University.  The hotel features 230 tastefully
decorated rooms including 45 suites, 24-hour room service, one dining
room, an outside garden in the summer season, two bars and a newfully
furnished exercise room.  The Ritz has 12 meeting rooms with a capacity
up to 550.

McGill Rates:
             $129.00 (Cdn.) - SINGLE/DOUBLE (June 1, 1997 - May 31, 1998)
         Address:   1228 Sherbrooke West, Montreal, Quebec   H3G 1H6
     Tel:           (514) 842-4212
     Toll-free: 1-800-363-0366 (in Canada & U.S.)  Internal:  398-8082
     http://www.ritz-carlton-montreal.com/
====================================================================
                             Delta Montreal
     Minutes away from the McGill Campus, in the hub of the business,
entertainment, shopping, and dining district, the completely
renovated Delta Montreal boasts 453 oversized rooms (most
with a balcony), 13 meeting rooms, and a ballroom which seats 650
people.
     Special features:  Complete spa and health club facilities,
including indoor/outdoor pools, exercise room, two squash courts, and
more.

McGill Rates:
             $115.00 (Cdn.) - SINGLE/DOUBLE (June 1, 1997 - Oct. 31, 1997)
               $105.00 (Cdn.) - SINGLE/DOUBLE (Nov. 1, 1997 - May 31, 1998)
    Address: 450 Sherbrooke West, Montreal, Quebec     H3A 2T4
        Tel:       (514) 286-1986     Toll-free: 1-800-268-1133
        Internal:  398-8090
    http://www.deltahotels.com
=======================================================================

                           Chateau Versailles
     The Chateau Versailles is located downtown on fashionable
Sherbrooke Street West (corner of St.  Mathieu), 5 minutes walking
distance to McGill University.  Our 176 rooms are located in two
separate buildings:  the historic Chateau section built in 1912 or our
new modern Tower section.  For your meetings we have four conference
rooms for groups up to 50 as well as our four diamond award winning
Champs Elysees Restaurant.

McGill Rates:
          $89.00 (Cdn.) -SINGLE/DOUBLE  (June 1, 1997 - May 31, 1998)
  Address:   1659 Sherbrooke West, Montreal, Quebec   H3H 1E3
    Tel:       (514) 933-3611
        Toll-free: 1-800-361-7199 (in Canada & U.S.)    Internal:  398-8091
http://www.montrealnet.ca/versailles  to register on-line.
In order to receive the McGill reduced rate be sure to request the
McGill rate in the special requirements box.
============================================================================

                        Best Western Ville-Marie
     Totally renovated the Best Western Ville-Marie Hotel &
Suites is located adjacent to McGill Campus, corner of Peel
& Sherbrooke. Our new corporate suites are equiped with voice
mail, fax modem, hook ups, coffee makers and full amenities. Our
new Health Club features state of the art equipment. For
meetings, conventions or any type of social events our 10 banquet
halls can accommodate 5 to 400 people.

McGill Rates:
             $75.00 (Cdn.) -SINGLE/DOUBLE (STANDARD)
             $99.00 (Cdn.) -SINGLE/DOUBLE (DELUXE)   (01/11/97 - 31/05/98)

           $90.00 (Cdn.) -SINGLE/DOUBLE (STANDARD)
                $110.00 (Cdn.) -SINGLE/DOUBLE (DELUXE) (01/06/97 - 31/10/97)
   Address:   3407 Peel Street, Montreal, Quebec  H3A 1W7
   Tel:           (514) 288-4141   Toll-free: 1-800-361-7791
    Internal:  398-8081
 http://www.bwvillemarie.com/67012
====================================================================

                       Hotel-Plaza Howard Johnson
     The Hotel-Plaza Howard Johnson, located two blocks from McGill
Campus, is within walking distance from the business district, Place des
Arts, underground shopping centres and various museums.  Our unique
European style hotel can pamper you with our full service personnel, 194
guestrooms including 89 suites, 13 meeting/banquet rooms.
      Special features:  in-room coffee machines, room service, dry
cleaning service, fitness facilities, outdoor terrace and valet parking.
   McGill Rates:
         $89.00 (Cdn.) - SINGLE/DOUBLE (Superior) (June 1, 1997 - May 31, 1998)
         Address:   475 Sherbrooke West, Montreal, Quebec   H3A 2L9
        Tel:       (514) 842-3961   Toll-free: 1-800-842-3961
        Internal:  398-8177
 (No web address)