Subject: Re: What is q-alg ????????????????????

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 15:33:15 -0300 (ADT)

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 07:59:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: James Stasheff <[email-masked]>

Some of you have asked: what is q-alg?

[email-masked]   is a fully automated electronic archive and
distribution server for papers on

        QUANTUM ALGEBRA AND TOPOLOGY (INCLUDING KNOT THEORY)
                    (starting from Dec, 1994)

This is an eprint archive for mathematics papers on ``quantum algebraic''
topics such as quantum groups (also known as noncommutative Hopf algebras) 
and related constructions, representations of affine Lie algebras, vertex 
operator algebras and operads, algebraic aspects of the KP and Toda lattice 
hierarchies, etc.

(JDS: although not listed explicitly, category theroy, especially
higher dim cats, is certainly appropriately posted to this server)

For the time being, the archive also welcomes submissions of mathematics
papers on modern knot theory (Jones and HOMFLY polynomials, Reshetikin-Turaev
invariants, etc.).  A separate archive will be formed for knot theory when the 
traffic becomes sufficient to warrant it.

Papers submitted to this archive should be intended for an audience of
mathematicians; we also welcome cross-listings of appropriate papers from
physics or other fields which are archived elsewhere.

Other mathematics archives running the same software:

 o  [email-masked]    Algebraic Geometry
 o  [email-masked]                 Automorphic Forms
 o  [email-masked]                    Complex Dynamics and Hyperbolic Geometry
 o  [email-masked]                    Differential Geometry and Global Analysis
 o  [email-masked]       Quantum Algebra (including Knot Theory)

For information about archives in other fields, consult
http://xxx.lanl.gov/help/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
  In the generic xxx help text, substitute [email-masked]
      for the generic e-mail address [email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outgoing mail from the e-print archive has the username no-reply
(to avoid problems due to occasional mail that bounces back).
Commands to the system should always be sent to [email-masked]
with the command in the subject field (e.g.  Subject: help).
Only one command at a time is accepted. Subscribers automatically
receive a listing of new titles/abstracts on days papers are received.

You will have a more pleasurable time using the archives if you read this
file carefully, read ALL responses you get to your interactions
with the archives, and follow the instructions therein.

This help file summarizes the email interface commands.

This information can be more easily accessed via the WorldWideWeb
at http://xxx.lanl.gov/help/ .

************************************************************
	Until August 10, 1998, I am on leave from UNC 
		and am at the University of Pennsylvania

	 Jim Stasheff		[email-masked]

	146 Woodland Dr
        Lansdale PA 19446       (215)822-6707	

	Jim Stasheff		[email-masked]
	Math-UNC		(919)-962-9607
	Chapel Hill NC		FAX:(919)-962-2568
	27599-3250