Subject: European School on Graph Transformation

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 15:34:48 -0300 (ADT)

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 18:18:58 +0200
From: Frank Drewes <[email-masked]>

         *************************************************
         *         First Call for Participation          *
         *    European School on Graph Transformation    *
         *                                               *
         *                Bremen (Germany)               *
         *                March 2-7, 1998                *
         *************************************************
         
            [for a PostScript version of this call see
      http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/grp/ag-ti/getgrats]

Aims and Scope

Graph grammars originated in the late 60s, motivated by
considerations about pattern recognition and compiler
construction. Since then the list of areas which have
interacted with the development of graph grammars has
grown quite impressively. Besides the aforementioned
areas it includes software specification and development,
VLSI layout schemes, massively parallel computer
architectures, database design, modeling of concurrent
systems, logic programming, computer animation, developmental
biology, music composition, visual languages, and many others.
The area of graph grammars and graph transformation
generalizes formal language theory based on strings and the
theory of term rewriting based on trees. As a matter of fact
within the area of graph grammars, graph transformation
is considered a fundamental programming paradigm where
computation includes specification, programming, and
implementation.

The main goal of the School is to disseminate ``the basic
knowledge'' about the area of graph grammars and graph
transformation and to present in a systematic way the state
of the art and the recent advances in the theory and
applications of graph transformation systems. The aim is
to bring together students, young researchers and senior
scientists interested in the area. The expected audience
for the School consists of two groups:

(i) participants from outside the area: these are the students
and researchers who want to learn (for various reasons) about
graph grammars and graph transformation,

(ii) participants from inside the area: these are students and
researchers that already have some knowledge of graph grammars,
but they are interested to get a more systematic insight into
the area.

The objective of the School (especially as the first group is
concerned)  is to make the participants ``literate'' in the
area of graph grammars and graph transformation.  This means
that, after the School, the participants will find it easier
to follow basic literature, and to consider applications of
graph grammars and graph transformations in their areas of
interest. The program of the School covers main developments
in both theory and applications of graph transformation.

Certificates

The School will issue certificates to acknowledge a successful
participation.

Organization

The School is one of the main events organized by the TMR
Research Network GETGRATS (General Theory of Graph Transformation
Systems). Also, the ESPRIT Working Group APPLIGRAPH (Applications
of Graph Transformation) participates in the organization of the
school.

Program Committee

Michel Bauderon, Hartmut Ehrig, Dirk Janssens, Hans-Joerg Kreowski
(Cochair), Ugo Montanari, Francesco Parisi-Presicce, Grzegorz
Rozenberg (Chair)

Organizing Committee

Frank Drewes, Hans-Joerg Kreowski (Chair), Grzegorz Rozenberg

Grants

The organizers hope to be able to offer grants to cover (parts of)
the costs for travel and subsistence.

Information

For more information please contact the organizers by email
({drewes,[email-masked]). You can also look
up the WWW homepage of the School. Just follow the respective
link at http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/grp/ag-ti/getgrats.

Registration

To register for the School please return the form at the end
before December 6, 1997. Pre-registrations (without obligation)
are welcome at any time. The registration fee will be around
DM 1200,- - DM 1300,-. This covers lodging (6-7 nights), full
board, and the teaching material including the handbook.

Scientific Programme

The scientific programme consists of 4 parts:

INTRODUCTORY  LECTURE
provides an informal panoramic sketch of the area.   

BASIC CORE
covers basic approaches to defining graph transformations. Each
of the following four approaches is covered by a strand of lectures.

(1) node rewriting
(2) (hyper)edge rewriting
(3) logical descriptions
(4) algebraic approaches

LAYER 1
consists of lectures on various ways of defining graph
transformations not covered in the Basic Core, as well
as various specialistic topics from the 4 strands of the
Basic Core.

(1) term graph rewriting
(2) foundations of the PROGRES approach
(3) concurrency
(4) coordination
(5) 2-structures
(6) pullback-approach
(7) high-level approaches

LAYER 2
consists of lectures covering various applications of graph
transformation and topics strongly rooted in applications.

(1) term graph rewriting in functional programming
(2) the use of PROGRES in a software engineering environment
(3) modularization
(4) distributed algorithms
(5) visual design of distributed systems
(6) image generation
(7) graph drawing

The lectures will be given by leading experts in the field
of graph grammars and graph transformation.

Presentation of Tools

In addition to the scientific programme various systems and tools
(PROGRES, AGG, GRAPHED, CLEAN, COLLAGE-VR, etc.) will be presented.

Teaching Material

- copies of transparencies, relevant papers, and lecture notes
- the Handbook on Graph Grammars and Computing by Graph
  Transformations, Volume 1: Foundations, World Scientific 1997

-------------------------- Registration form ---------------------------

I would like to [  ] pre-register / [  ] register for the European
School on Graph Transformation.

   Name:          ____________________________________
   
   Position:      ____________________________________
   
   Address:       ____________________________________
   
                  ____________________________________
                  
                  ____________________________________
                  
                  ____________________________________
                  
   email and fax: ____________________________________
   
   I need financial support:   [ ] yes   [ ] no

   (Please return this form to
   Prof. Dr. Hans-Joerg Kreowski,
   Universitaet Bremen
   Fachbereich 3
   Postfach 330440
   D-28334 Bremen
   (Germany)
   email: [email-masked]
   Fax:   +49-421-218-4322)