Subject: REMINDER: MATHFIT Summer School and Workshop

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 00:20:37 -0300 (ADT)

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 97 10:30:06 BST
From: [email-masked]

Dear Colleagues,

We enclose a reminder of two events to be held in Birmingham this
September.  Please note that the deadline for early registration and
applications for grants is ***30th June***.

Please forward to anyone interested.

Best wishes,

Achim and Marta.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMER SCHOOL and WORKSHOP on 
NEW PARADIGMS FOR COMPUTATION ON CLASSICAL SPACES
Birmingham, 8-10 September 1997 and 11-13 September 1997

The two events are centered around recent developments in the theory of
continuous domains as applied to classical problems in Mathematics and
Semantics. These developments are based on ground-breaking work by
Abbas Edalat who, using earlier work by Jimmie Lawson, Claire Jones and
Gordon Plotkin, showed in the early 90's how a classical (locally
compact) space could be embedded as the set of maximal points in a
domain. This led to a new theory of integration with applications in
the theory of Iterated Function Systems, Neural Networks, Statistical
Physics, and Fractal Geometry.  More recently, Abbas Edalat and Martin
Escardo have made substantial progress on the question of exact real
number computation.

The Summer School is intended to teach the mathematical background of
the theory enabling participants to fully take part in the following
Workshop.

A small number of grants for the Summer School are available for PhD
students.

Further information can be found at

http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axj/comprox.html