Subject: ANNOUNCING: Xy-pic version 3.4 released!

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 21:18:10 -0300 (ADT)

Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 16:19:28 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Kristoffer Hogsbro Rose <[email-masked]>

Dear Category Theorists,

Please find enclosed a copy of the TRAILER for a new version of Xy-pic.
I hope you will find it useful.  Notice that DIKU has discontinued my
ftp directory, so the principal home of Xy-pic is now at brics.dk.

Sincerely,
            Kristoffer H. Rose

=======================================================================
     ANNOUNCING the Xy-pic version 3.4 DIAGRAM TYPESETTING PACKAGE
=======================================================================

This is to announce a RELEASE of the DIAGRAM TYPESETTING PACKAGE:

			      Xy-pic 3.4

This is a maintenance release where a few more bugs of the previous
major release of Xy-pic 3 have been eliminated and a few things have
been added...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
				GENERAL
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Xy-pic is a package for typesetting a variety of graphs and diagrams
with TeX.  Xy-pic works with most formats (including LaTeX, AMS-LaTeX,
AMS-TeX, and plain TeX), in particular Xy-pic is provided as a LaTeX2e
`supported package' (following the `CTAN LaTeX2e bundle' standard).

Further specifics of the package are in the distribution README file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
				 NEWS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Xy-pic version 3 was a thorough rewrite of the prior major version,
version 2 (last version 2 release was release 2.6; several beta-test
releases of version 3, numbered 2.7-2.12, were made available to
users).  However, full backwards compatibility is maintained (except
for the unavoidable but fully documented obscure cases).

Release 3.4 fixes the following problems remaining in release 3.3:

* \txt and v2 arrow commands now work again, even first in matrix entries!
* Tiling patterns are functional again!
* PostScript frames have the right shape again! 
* The [F**] `enhance' modifier is now useful, even without PostScript!
* Using Xy-constructions with & inside other table constructs possible!
* Improved non-PostScript curved dashing!
* `Illegal parameter number in definition of \lastprentry@@' bug fixed!

as well as the usual collection of minor fixes in code & documentation
(all described in the ChangeLog file of the source distribution).

Thanks to J|rgen Koslowski, Clemens Beckstein, G. Allen Morris III,
Chris L. Skeels, and Peter Selinger, for your bug reports (and to
David Carlisle for reminding us of LaTeX2e's \AtBeginDvi mechanism,
and last but not least to Karl Berry for releasing web2c-7.0 so we
won't have to get `out of memory' errors any more and gee are we proud
of being the only macro package mentioned in texmf.cnf :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
			      AVAILABILITY
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Xy-pic can be retrieved through the World Wide Web Xy-pic `home pages':

  URL:			http://www.brics.dk/~krisrose/Xy-pic.html
  URL:			http://www.mpce.mq.edu.au/~ross/Xy-pic.html

as well as by anonymous ftp from

  CTAN:			macros/generic/diagrams/xypic

and from the private archives of the authors:

  ftp.brics.dk : 	/Staff/krisrose/TeX/
  ftp.mpce.mq.edu.au :	/pub/maths/TeX/

Check the README file in each location for specifics.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
			   HISTORY & CREDITS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The first public release (version 1.40) of Xy-pic was created by
Kristoffer H. Rose, DIKU, U of Copenhagen (now BRICS, U of Aarhus) and
distributed via Usenet on December 19, 1991.  (Version 3.3 was released
on December 19, 1996 because this was the fifth anniversary of Xy-pic.)
This quickly became Version 2 of which version 2.6 was the most stable.

The rewrite that became version 3 is a continued collaboration with
Ross Moore, Macquarie U, Sydney, initiated through a visit to Macquarie
(Jan-May 1994 supported by the Australian Research Council, Macquarie
University, and using donated DEC equipment).

Xy-pic is Copyright (c) 1991-1997 by Kristoffer H. Rose and 1994-1997
by Ross Moore under GNU COPYLEFT which means that you can use the
package for any purpose but if you provide the macros or any code
derived from them to a third party then you are obliged to include the
entire Xy-pic package (full details in the file COPYING).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

	  This is the end of the announcement.  Enjoy Xy-pic!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

PS. Don't miss TUG'97 with the latest in advanced TeX/LaTeX web & math
    typesetting developments!  See <URL: http://tug.cs.umb.edu/tug97/>
--
Kristoffer Hxgsbro ROSE, Ph.D.                     <[email-masked]>
BRICS International Ph.D. School  <URL: http://www.brics.dk/~krisrose>
Department of Computer Science    +45 89423193, 20900180, fax 89423255
University of Aarhus, Ny Munkegade, bld. 540, DK-8000 Erhus C, DENMARK