Subject: PhD-Studentships in Theoretical Computer Science

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 14:03:00 -0300 (ADT)

Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 17:41:34 +0100
From: Eike Ritter <[email-masked]>

                   THE UNIVERSITY OF BIRMINGHAM
                    SCHOOL OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

         RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES IN THEORETICAL COMPUTER SCIENCE

The School of Computer Science, broadly grouped into areas of Theory of
Computation, Artificial Intelligence, and Software Engineering, offers
a number of PhD studentships each year.

The Theory of Computation group concentrates on the development of
logics and semantics for programming languages. The overall aim is to
provide intuitive conceptual tools for the everyday practice of
programming.  Within this framework, the activities range from abstract
mathematics to issues of implementation and software development.
Current research projects include probabilistic computation and model
checking, semantics for concurrent systems, observation logics, exact
real number computation, semantics for databases, (linear) functional
programming, type systems for optimization of programs, and automated
deduction.

Current members of the Theory group are: Dr Valeria de Paiva, Professor
Achim Jung, Dr Marta Kwiatkowska, Dr Eike Ritter and Dr Mark Ryan.
There are also two Research Fellows (Dr Natasha Alechina and Dr Neil
Ghani) and 9 PhD students associated with the group, of the total of 30
in the School.  Possible topics for research include, but are not
restricted to:

   Probabilistic and stochastic systems    
   Software verification
   Semantics for concurrency
   Extensions to the relational database model (theory and implementation)
   Semantics of object-oriented languages   
   Linear abstract machines
   Type systems for imperative and OO programming
   Machine-assisted reasoning
   Categorical models of rewriting
	
Applicants should possess a good honours degree (equivalent to an upper
second class degree in a UK university) in Mathematics or Computer
Science, or a closely related title.  Applicants willing to undertake
building software systems as part of their research are particularly
encouraged.

Informal enquiries can be directed to any member of the group:

Valeria de Paiva	+44 121 414 4766
Achim Jung		+44 121 414 4776
Marta Kwiatkowska	+44 121 414 7264
Eike Ritter		+44 121 414 4772
Mark Ryan		+44 121 414 7361

email {vdp,axj,mzk,exr,[email-masked]

Additional information about the School of Computer Science and the
University of Birmingham is accessible via WWW from URL:

    http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk