Subject: AMAST'97 CFP

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 07:58:27 -0300 (ADT)

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 00:20:07 +1000
From: Michael Johnson <[email-masked]>

AMAST'97 (Algebraic Methodology and Software Technology) particularly
welcomes papers in category theory as a foundation for computer science,
and as a tool in software engineering.

If you would like to submit, but may have trouble meeting the May 15
deadline, please contact [email-masked] as soon as possible.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

                  Final Call for Papers

            Sixth International AMAST Conference
     AMAST '97,  December 13-17,  1997,  Sydney, Australia.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Goals

The major goal of the AMAST Conferences is to put software
development technology on a firm, mathematical foundation.
Particular emphasis is given to algebraic and logical foundations
of software technology.  An eventual goal is to establish algebraic
and logical methodologies as practically viable and attractive
alternatives to the prevailing approaches to software engineering.

Previous meetings of AMAST were held in Iowa (1989 and 1991), 
Twente, Holland (1993), Montreal (1995) and Munich (1996).  
During these meetings, AMAST has attracted an international spread 
of researchers and practitioners interested in software technology, 
programming methodology and their algebraic and logical foundations. 
In addition, the first day of each conference has been dedicated to 
Mathematics Education for Software Engineers.

Following this successful trend, the sixth AMAST International
Conference will be held at Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia, 
from December 13 to December 17, 1997.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Submissions

As in the previous years we invite papers reporting original research in  
algebra and logic, suitable as a foundation for software technology,
as well as software technologies developed by means of logic and
algebraic methodologies. Submissions should not have been published 
and should not be under consideration for publication elsewhere.

The topics of interest include, but are not limited to, the
following:

SOFTWARE TECHNOLOGY
	systems software technology,
	application software technology,
	concurrent and reactive systems, 	
	formal methods in industrial software development,
	formal techniques for software requirements, design.

PROGRAMMING METHODOLOGY
	logic programming, functional programming, object paradigms,
	constraint programming and concurrency,
	program verification and transformation,
	specification languages and tools,
	formal specification and development case studies.

ALGEBRAIC AND LOGICAL FOUNDATIONS
	logic, category theory, relation algebra, computational algebra,
	algebraic foundations for languages and systems,
	theorem proving and logical frameworks for reasoning,
	logics of programs.

SYSTEMS AND TOOLS (for system demonstrations or ordinary papers)
	software development environments,
	support for correct software development,
	system support for reuse,
	tools for prototyping,
	validation and verification,
	computer algebra systems,
	theorem proving systems.

We invite prospective authors to submit electronically previously
unpublished papers of high quality.  Papers should be between five
and fifteen pages in LNCS style.  Ten page papers are ideal, and 
papers longer than fifteen pages may be rejected without detailed
refereeing.  Please see details at http://www.cs.mq.edu.au/amast97
under "submission" which explain how to get a paper number, and
then send a fully self-contained postscript file (preferably 
derived from LaTeX with the LNCS style on a Unix system) to 
[email-masked] .  If for any reason it is impossible
to submit electronically authors may send six paper copies of their
submission to the programme chair at the address below.

All papers will be refereed by the programme committee, and will be
judged based on their significance, technical merit, and relevance
to the conference. As in the past, we expect the proceedings to
be published by Springer-Verlag in their Lecture Notes in Computer
Science Series.  Papers should be received by May 15, 1997. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Address for non-electronic submissions and enquiries

Michael Johnson
AMAST'97 Programme chair
School of Maths and Computing
Macquarie University
Sydney, 2109, Australia

Phone: ++61 (0)2 9850 9583
Fax:   ++61 (0)2 9850 9551
Email: [email-masked]

-------------------------------------------------------------------

AMAST General Chair:  Maurice Nivat (France)
Programme  Chair:  Michael Johnson (Australia)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Programme Committee

V.S. Alagar (Canada), Egidio Astesiano (Italy), Didier Begay (France),
Richard Buckland (Australia), John Cannon (Australia), 
Kokichi Futatsugi (Japan), Armando Haeberer (Brazil), Paola Inverardi (Italy), 
Michael Johnson (Australia), Rocco De Nicola (Italy),
Anton Nijholt (Netherlands), Fernando Orejas (Spain),
Mehmet Orgun (Australia), John Plaice (Canada)
John Potter (Microsoft Research Institute),
R. Ramanujam (India), Charles Rattray (Great Britain),
Teodor Rus (USA), T. Sakabe (Japan), Giuseppe Scollo (Netherlands),
R.K. Shyamasundar (India), Andrzej Tarlecki (Poland), 
R.F.C. Walters (Australia), Martin Wirsing (Germany).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Organizing Committee

Chair and Finances: Michael Johnson

Tools and Demos: Richard Buckland 
 
Local arrangements:  Vicki Carruthers

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Important Dates

Submission of Papers: May 15, 1997
Submission of System Demo Proposals: June 15, 1997
Author notificaiton of ouctome: August 1, 1997
Camera read copy received by: September 1, 1997
Education Day: December 13, 1997
Conference Days: December 14-17, 1997

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Further information

For regularly updated details of the conference
organisation see http://www.cs.mq.edu.au/amast97
or send email to [email-masked]

-------------------------------------------------------------------