Subject: IC-EATCS Annual Advanced School

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 15:23:28 -0300 (ADT)

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 19:17:49 +0100
From: Catuscia Palamidessi <[email-masked]>

I apologize for multiple copies.

Regards, Catuscia Palamidessi

========================================================

                     3rd IC-EATCS Annual Advanced School

                    "Models and Paradigms of Concurrency"

                  15-19 September 1997, CISM, Udine, Italy

                                Organized by

        Furio Honsell       Catuscia Palamidessi      Paolo Serafini
     University of Udine  (Scientific Coordinator)  University of Udine
                            University of Genova

                                Sponsored by
                  Italian CNR  UNESCO  University of Udine

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

For further information see the URL: 
http://www.disi.unige.it/person/PalamidessiC/IC-EATCSschool/index.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCOPE

The IC-EATCS (European Association of Theoretical Computer Science)
Advanced Schools focus on specific subjects of Theoretical Computer Science, 
and address an international public formed both by PhD students and by researchers 
who wish to deepen their knowledge of the field.
Besides the didactical purpose, these events aim at the dissemination of
advanced scientific knowledge and at the promotion of international contacts
and exchange of ideas among scientists. They intend to be an occasion,
especially for the youngest participants, to meet other people interested in
their research with whom to discuss ideas and to compare approaches and
results.

The IC-EATCS 1997 Advanced School will focus on "Models and Paradigms for
Concurrency". The aim is to provide a overview of some of the hot topics in
the field of Concurrency Theory, particularly concerning computational
models and linguistic paradigms.

If there are PhD students interested in taking an examination at 
the conclusion of the School, such an examination will be scheduled 
on Saturday 20 September, and will consist of exercises agreed upon by the
Organizers and the Lecturers.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROGRAMME

There will be 3 main courses of 10 hours each. Every course will be parted
in 5 lectures of 2 hours, one per day.
Additionally, there will be  invited talks, one per day, of 1 hour and 
half each.

MAIN COURSES

Samson Abramsky                 Interaction Categories
University of Edimburgh, UK
 
Prakash Panangaden              Probabilistic Theories and Methods for
Mc Gill University, Ca          Concurrency

Davide Sangiorgi                An introduction to the Pi-calculus
INRIA Sophia-Antipolis, Fr

INVITED TALKS

Pierpaolo Degano                (to be announced)
University of Pisa, It

Moreno Falaschi                 Concurrent Constraint Programming
University of Udine, It

Roberto Gorrieri                Security and Privacy in Process Algebras
University of Bologna, It

Furio Honsell                   (to be announced)
University of Udine, It

Simone Martini                  Distributed Cut-elimination in Proof-nets
University of Udine, It

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLICATION 

To apply, participants should fill the enclosed Application Form and return 
it, either by hard or electronic mail, to:

IC-EATCS 1997 Advanced School Secretariat
CISM, Palazzo del Torso
Piazza Garibaldi 18
33100 UDINE - ITALY

Tel: +39 432 294989 or 508251. Fax: +39 432 501523. Email: [email-masked]

Please send a copy of your application (preferably by email) also to
Catuscia Palamidessi, DISI, via Dodecaneso, 35, 16146 Italy. Email:
[email-masked].

DEADLINE

Early registration: 30 June 1997. Late registration: 15 August 1997

FEES

The Participation fee is 600,000 ITL (Italian Lira) for early registration,
and 700,000 ITL for late registration (1 USD is about 1,700 ITL). It
includes coffee breaks and printed material relative to the courses. It does
not include accomodation or meals.

FURTHER INFORMATION

For further information please contact Ms.Carla Toros, Cism Secretary. Tel.
+39 432 294989. Email: [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

GRANTS

A limited number of participants who cannot be entirely supported by their
own Institution can be offered scholarship and/or lodging and/or partial
support of travel expenses. In order to have a large attendance applicants
are encouraged to solicit partial support also from other institutions. The
request for support should be sent by 30 June 1997 together with the 
Application, and it should include:

   * the enclosed Grant Application Form
   * the Curriculum Vitae of the participant
   * (optional) one or two letters of recommendation.

The request should be sent either by hard or electronic mail, to:

IC-EATCS 1997 Advanced School Secretariat
CISM, Palazzo del Torso
Piazza Garibaldi 18
33100 UDINE - ITALY

Tel: +39 432 294989 or 508251. Fax: +39 432 501523. Email: [email-masked]

Please send a copy of your request also to Catuscia Palamidessi, DISI, via
Dodecaneso, 35, 16146 Italy. Email: [email-masked].

The letters of recommendation, if sent by email, should be send directly 
by the people who write them.

Awarding of grants will be notified by 30 July 1997.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACCOMODATION AND TRAVEL

There are many hotel opportunities in Udine. A list of them, with reduced 
prices for the CISM schools participants, is enclosed below. Participants 
are kindly requested to make the hotel reservation directly. A map of Udine,
showing the location of CISM and of the various hotels, is available at the 
URL http://www.disi.unige.it/person/PalamidessiC/IC-EATCSschool/index.html

A limited number of participants can be lodged in the Student House of the
University of Udine. More information about this will be made available at 
the URL above.

Participants to the school can get meals at the "Mensa Universitaria" for
about 10,000 ITL.

The best way to reach Udine by plane is to arrive at the airport of 
Trieste. From this airport, there are frequent buses to Udine. The trip
takes about half an hour.
More information about travel will be made available at the URL above.

8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLICATION FORM

Family name: _____________________  Name: ___________________________

Date of Birth: ___________________  Cytizenship: ____________________

Position: __________________  Affiliation: __________________________

Address: ____________________________________________________________

Phone: ________________  Fax: ______________  Email: ________________

.....................................................................

Please select your preferred form of payment for the fee
by replacing the "o" with an "*"

o Check of Lire: ___________ sent to CISM.

o Payment of Lire: ___________ made on CISM Bank Account N. 3000, 
  ROLO Banca 1473, Agenzia 2, UDINE (ABI 3556, CAB 12303). 
  Bank transfer must be free of charge for the organizers.

o Charge of Lire  on the Credit card: _______________________
  (Cartasi, Eurocard, Mastercard or Visa)

  Number: _________________________  Expiration date: _______

  Name on card: _____________________________________________

.....................................................................

Please indicate to whom the invoice should be addressed here below. 
This name should also appear on all bank documents

Name: ______________________________________________

Address: ___________________________________________

VAT number or Fiscal Number: _______________________
(Only for EC or Italian residents or foreigners with permanent 
business activity in Italy):

8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------

GRANT APPLICATION FORM
(to be sent together with the application form)

I hereby apply for the following support for attending the 
``IC-EATCS Advanced School on Models and Paradigms for Concurrency'', 
CISM, Udine, 15-19 September 1997 :

- travel expenses: Yes  No

- living expenses: Yes  No

- participation fee:  Yes  No

When using the most economical way of 
travelling, my travel costs amount to: ________________________________

Other sources will contribute to my expenses for:

- travel expenses: Yes  No  Partially (up to _________________________)

- living expenses: Yes  No  Partially (up to _________________________)

- participation fee: Yes  No  Partially (up to _______________________)

I do not receive any further support and I hereby declare that the above
information is correct and to the best of my knowledge.

Date: _________________

Signature: ____________________________________________________________

8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOTELS IN UDINE

                                           Approximate Prices in Lire
                                                   January 97 (*)
                                           Single room    Double room
.........................................................................

**** (first category)

AMBASSADOR PALACE HOTEL,                      91.000
Via Carducci 46                              112.000     164.000
Tel. +39 0432/50 37 77, Fax 50 37 11        break.incl.  break.incl.

ASTORIA HOTEL ITALIA,                        140.000      180.000
Piazza XX Settembre 24                      break.incl.  break.incl.
Tel. +39 0432/50 50 91, Fax 50 90 70
special discounted prices for week-ends      130.000      170.000
.........................................................................

*** (second category)

CRISTALLO                                     76.000      118.000
Piazzale D'Annunzio 73            breakfast   13.000
Tel. +39 0432/50 19 19, Fax 50 16 73
     additional discount for direct payment   72.000      110.000

FRIULI,                                       85.000      150.000
Viale Ledra 24                               105.000
Tel. +39 0432/23 43 51, Fax 23 46 06        break.incl.  break.incl.

PRESIDENT,                                    90.000
Via Duino 8                                  105.000      140.000
Tel. +39 0432/50 99 05, Fax 50 72 87        break.incl.  break.incl.

PRINCIPE,                                     90.000
Viale Europa Unita 51                        100.000      150.000
Tel. +39 0432/50 60 00, Fax 50 22 21        break.incl.  break.incl.

SAN GIORGIO,                                  90.000
Piazzale Cella 3                             110.000      130.000
Tel. +39 0432/50 55 77, Fax 50 61 10        break.incl.  break.incl.

CONTINENTAL                                   90.000
Viale Tricesimo 71                            99.000      135.000
Tel. +39 0432/46 969, Fax 52 60 02          break.incl.  break.incl.

.........................................................................

** (third category)

QUO VADIS,                                    55.000        80.000
Piazziale Cella 28                 breakfast   7.000        90.000
Tel. +39 0432/21 0 91, Fax 21 0 92

.........................................................................

* (fourth category)

SUITE INN - Meubli,
Via di Toppo 25                      no single rooms       60.000
Tel. +39 0432/50 16 83                                  break. not incl.

.........................................................................

Interested persons are kindly requested to make the hotel reservation
directly. International code number for Udine is: +39432. For national 
calls, the code is 0432.
 
(*) These are special prices for CISM participants. When contacting the 
hotel, please make clear that you are a CISM participant.