Subject: BarrFest (Montreal) - 2nd notice

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 08:45:53 -0400 (AST)

Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 18:05:00 -0500
From: Robert A. G. Seely <[email-masked]>

      C --- R
      |   / |  CENTRE de RECHERCHE en THEORIE des CATEGORIES
      | /   |  CATEGORY THEORY RESEARCH CENTER
      T --- C

            CATEGORY THEORY BARRFEST: SECOND ANNOUNCEMENT

                      McGill University, Montreal
                  Thursday-Saturday, May 29-31, 1997

Dear Colleague,

We invite you to join us in Montreal next May for a special three-day
conference in honour of Michael Barr's sixtieth birthday. The meeting
will take place the last three days of May. The following students,
mentors, and friends of Mike have agreed to participate as invited
speakers:  Peter Chu, Jack Duskin, Peter Freyd, Murray Gerstenhaber,
John Kennison, Jim Lambek, Fred Linton, Saunders MacLane, Michael
Makkai, James Otto, John Power, Myles Tierney, Don VanOsdol, Charles
Wells.

We will have time for a limited number of other speakers.  In keeping
with the spirit of the conference, we ask that talks be concerned with
one of the subjects to which Mike Barr has contributed:  Homological
algebra, triples, embeddings, exact catgeories, torsion theories, topos
theory, topology, *-autonomous categories, universal algebra, logic,
computer science, or linguistics.  If you wish to give a talk, send your
request as soon as possible to Tom Fox at the address below.  The
conference proceedings will be published in a special number of the
Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra.

We will meet in the Bronfman Building, 1001 Sherbrooke West. The first
talk will be at 9:00, May 29th.  Registration will take place the
morning of the 29th from 8:30-9:00 and during the morning break.  There
will be a registration fee of $80 for faculty, $40 for students,
including a dinner/party to be held Friday evening.  Please let us know
if you intend to join us by sending a short email to
[email-masked], indicating whether or not you will bring a
guest to the dinner.

Below you will find a list of hotels and tourist rooms close to McGill.
If you have any further questions, please contact Tom Fox or Robert Seely.

CRTC
Dept of Mathematics and Statistics
McGill University
805 Sherbrooke West
Montreal, Quebec
CANADA  H3A 2K6

Tom Fox       [email-masked]
Robert Seely [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------

	Hotels:

L'Appartement, 455 Sherbrooke W, 284-3634, $75
Howard Johnson Plaza, 475 Sherbrooke W, 842-3961, $79 (1-800-8423961)
Citadelle, 410 Sherbrooke W, 844-8851, $89
Holiday Inn, 420 Sherbrooke W, 842-6111, $99
Hotel du Parc, 3625 Park Ave, 288-6666, $85
Versailles*, 1659 Sherbrooke W, 933-3611, $89 (B&B)

	Tourist Rooms:

Ambrose, 3422 Stanley, 288-6922, $40-50 (excellent)
Armor*, 151 Sherbrooke E, 285-0140, $38-70
Bienvenue B&B** 3950 Laval, 844-5897, $60-75 (1-800-2275897)
Casa Bella, 258 Sherbrooke W, 849-2777, $40-65
Centre Ville B&B*, 3458 Laval, 289-9749, $40-55
Pierre*, 169 Sherbrooke E, 288-8519, $65

*15 minute walk from McGill
**30 minute walk from McGill