Subject: CT97: Second Announcement

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 16:29:17 -0400 (AST)

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 97 12:10:00 -0800
From: John MacDonald <[email-masked]>

Please circulate to all interested colleagues:

SECOND ANNOUNCEMENT

INTERNATIONAL CATEGORY THEORY MEETING (CT97)

July 13-19, 1997

University of British Columbia
Vancouver, Canada

The conference arrival day is Sunday July 13 with a reception in the
evening.  The scientific program will begin Monday morning July 14 and
will finish before lunch on Saturday July 19.

PREREGISTRATION

IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO, AND PLAN TO ATTEND THE CONFERENCE, 
PLEASE PREREGISTER BY MARCH 15, 1997.

To preregister, and thus receive detailed information, please send
e-mail to [email-masked] with subject `preregistration'.  Please provide
your name and a postal address in the body of the message.

REGISTRATION FEE

The conference registration fee is tentatively set at $225(Canadian) if
received before the end of May and $250 if received afterwards.  The final
figure depends on some cost estimates not yet received but will not
vary much (if at all) from this tentative figure.

The registration fee includes a reception Sunday evening, morning coffees,
a midweek excursion, a banquet Friday evening as well as various fees
charged by the University (e.g. meeting room rentals).  Tickets to attend
any of the events will be available at cost for spouses, children, or other
accompanying persons.

Final figures as well as method of payment will be sent to those who
have preregistered.

ACCOMODATION AND MEALS

Accomodation is available on the U.B.C. campus in a block of rooms being
held for CT97 until one month before the meetings begin.  These rooms as
well as reasonably priced student eating places and a pub are all located
within easy walking distance of the talks.

A form for booking rooms on campus will be sent soon to all preregistrants.
For your advance information the costs of accomodation are as follows:

A single room with shared washroom is $33. per night;

A single room with private washroom is $60. per night;

A single/double suite (1 double bed) is $95. per night; and 

A triple suite (2 twin beds, 1 double) is $110. per night.

These rates are in Canadian funds and do not include taxes, which will be
added to the rates quoted.  The accomodation quoted at $60, $95 and $110
includes TV, telephone, kitchenette and private washroom.  Breakfast is
not included, but is available nearby.

Those who prefer to book hotel rooms in downtown Vancouver should allow
20-30 minutes by car to the U.B.C. campus or 40-60 minutes by city bus.
The name of a Vancouver travel agent will be included in a future 
announcement for those wishing to book hotels or tours through a local
agent.

SCIENTIFIC PROGRAMME

Abstracts for talks should be sent to [email-masked] (or Art Stone,
8942 Ganymede Place, Burnaby, B.C. V3J 1A1, CANADA) before May 1, 1997.

Please include a title and limit the abstract to half a page or less
in length.  Please indicate the amount of time you would like (20, 30 or
50 minutes).  People will not be asked to speak for more time than they
have requested and, indeed, limited time may compel some compression of
talks.  The total number of speakers may have to be limited as well.

SPECIAL EVENTS

A discussion on some topic of general interest will take place on Tuesday
evening July 15.

For those interested there may be hikes (or longer expeditions) organized
to take place on the day (or days) immediately following the formal part
of the meeting.

There is an outdoor Shakespeare Festival in Vancouver from June 10 until
September 21.  Bard on the Beach presents "The Winter's Tale" at 8PM on
July 15, 16, 17 and "Love's Labour's Lost" at 8PM on July 18, 19.  
Bard on the Peak presents "The Winter's Tale" at the top of Grouse
Mountain at 1PM on July 19.  Tickets can be obtained through a travel agent.

The 20th annual Vancouver Folk Music Festival will be held near the
beach, in Jericho Park, on Friday evening July 18, all day Saturday
July 19 and all day Sunday July 20.  This is an outdoor event and
if you plan to go tickets can be bought at the gate either day by
day, or for the entire weekend.

Those interested in contemporary live theatre, sporting events, etc. should
enquire through a travel agent regarding schedules of events or find out on
arrival.  There are fine restaurants available off campus in addition
to the student places on campus.  There are several beaches nearby.