Subject: 4th WoLLIC'97 - 2nd Call

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 15:53:09 -0400 (AST)

Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 10:10:57 -0300
From: [email-masked]

[Please post.  Apologies if you received this message more than once.]

                       Second Call for Contributions

        4th Workshop on Logic, Language, Information and Computation
       	                       (WoLLIC'97)
                           August 20-22, 1997
                       Fortaleza (Ceara'), Brazil

The "4th Workshop on Logic, Language, Information and Computation" (WoLLIC'97)
will be held in Fortaleza, Ceara' (Brazil), from August 20th to 22nd 1997.
Contributions are invited in the form of two-page (600 words) abstracts in all
areas related to logic, language, information and computation, including: pure
logical systems, proof theory, model theory, algebraic logic, type theory,
category theory, constructive mathematics, lambda and combinatorial calculi,
program logic and program semantics, logics and models of concurrency,
nonclassical logics, nonmonotonic logic, logic and language, discourse
representation, logic and artificial intelligence, automated deduction,
foundations of logic programming, logic and computation, and logic engineering.

There will be a number of guest speakers, including:
Keith Devlin (St.Mary's Coll), Abbas Edalat (Imperial Coll),
Rob van Glabbeek (Stanford), Yuri Gurevich (Michigan Univ),
Peter Johnstone (Cambridge Univ), Roman Kossak (CUNY),
Daniel Lehmann (Jerusalem Univ), Drew McDermott (Yale Univ),
Michael Moortgat (Utrecht Univ), Moshe Vardi (Rice Univ),
Paulo Veloso (PUC-Rio).

Submission:
Two-page abstracts, preferably by e-mail to *** [email-masked] *** must be
RECEIVED by JUNE 1st, 1997 by one of the Co-Chairs of the Organising Committee.
Authors will be notified of acceptance by July 1st, 1997.  The 4th WoLLIC'97 is
under the official auspices of the Interest Group in Pure and Applied Logics
(IGPL), The European Association for Logic, Language and Information (FoLLI),
and co-sponsored by the Association for Symbolic Logic (ASL), and the Sociedade
Brasileira de Computacao (SBC).  Abstracts will be published in the Journal of
the IGPL (ISSN 0945-9103) (Oxford University Press) as part of the meeting
report.  Selected contributed papers will be invited for submission (in full
version) to a special issue of the Journal of the IGPL
(http://www.mpi-sb.mpg.de/igpl/Journal).

The location:
Located near the equatorial line in the northeastern coast of Brazil,
Fortaleza, the capital of the state of Ceara', lies by the beach between the
Ceara' and the Coco' rivers, in the middle of 570km (360mi) of sandy beaches
of the State's coast. The hightest point in the city is only 30m (100ft) high
and its beach front is formed of sand dunes up to 10m high and coconut trees.
The weather is dry and sunny. A permanent breeze comes from the ocean and keeps
the air clean and healthy while the temperature rests on a nice level year
around. The lack of rain during most of the year, now a blessing for the
visitors, prevented a definitive settlement in the area of Fortaleza until the
middle of the 17th century. At that time, need to assure the hold of the land,
the Portuguese established the "Fortaleza de Nossa Senhora da Assuncao" in the
same place where a hundred years before the dutch had built the
Schoonenbroch Fort. Fortaleza, named after the fortress, has been since then an
important trading center and an artistic and cultural center of the country.
(http://www.bec.hosting.ibm.com/pagina/ifortale.html)
(http://www.bec.hosting.ibm.com/pagina/iceara.html)

Programme Committee:
A. Avron (Tel-Aviv Univ., Israel), J. van Benthem (ILLC, Amsterdam),
W. A. Carnielli (UNICAMP, Campinas), N. da Costa (USP, Sao Paulo),
I. Hodkinson (Imperial College, London), L. Moss (Indiana Univ., Bloomington),
V. de Paiva (Birmingham Univ., UK), T. Pequeno (UFC, Fortaleza),
R. de Queiroz (UFPE, Recife), P. Veloso (PUC, Rio).

Organising Committee:
M. Aragao (UFC), F. Carvalho (UFC), A. T. C. Martins (UFC), H. Nogueira (UFC),
A. G. de Oliveira (UFBA/UFPE), M. Pequeno (UFC) (Chair), T. Pequeno (UFC),
R. de Queiroz (UFPE), W. Vasconcelos (UECE).

For further information, contact the Co-Chairs of the Organising Committee:
Ruy de Queiroz, Departamento de Informatica, Univ. Federal de Pernambuco,
CP 7851, Recife, PE 50732-970, Brazil, e-mail: [email-masked],
tel.: +55 81 271 8430, fax: +55 81 271 8438.
Marcelino Pequeno, Laboratorio de Inteligencia Artificial, Univ. Federal do
Ceara', CP 12166, Fortaleza, CE 60455-760, Brazil, e-mail: [email-masked],
tel.: +55 85 287 1333, fax: +55 85 288 9845.

Web homepage: http://www.di.ufpe.br/~wollic97

%-----
% LaTeX version
%-----

\documentstyle[a4]{article}

\renewcommand{\thepage}{}

\begin{document}

\begin{center}
{\large\bf 4th Workshop on Logic, Language, Information and Computation
(WoLLIC'97)}\\[1.0ex]
Sponsored by IGPL, FoLLI, ASL, SBC\\[0.8ex]
{\large August 20--22, 1997}\\
{(Tutorial Day: August 19th)}\\[.8ex]
{\large Fortaleza (Cear\'a), Brazil}\\[1.0ex]
\end{center}
\medskip
\noindent
The {\bf 4th Workshop on Logic, Language, Information and Computation}
({\bf WoLLIC'97})
will be held in Fortaleza, Cear\'a (Brazil), from August 20th to 22nd 1997.
Contributions are invited in the form of two-page (600 words) abstracts in all
areas related to logic, language, information and computation, including: pure
logical systems, proof theory, model theory, algebraic logic, type theory,
category theory, constructive mathematics, lambda and combinatorial calculi,
program logic and program semantics, logics and models of concurrency,
nonclassical logics, nonmonotonic logic, logic and language, discourse
representation, logic and artificial intelligence, automated deduction,
foundations of logic programming, logic and computation, and logic
engineering.\\
There will be a number of guest speakers, including:
Keith Devlin (St.Mary's Coll), Abbas Edalat (Imperial Coll),
Rob van Glabbeek (Stanford Univ), Yuri Gurevich (Michigan Univ),
Peter Johnstone (Cambridge Univ), Roman Kossak (CUNY),
Daniel Lehmann (Jerusalem Univ), Drew McDermott (Yale Univ),
Michael Moortgat (Utrecht Univ), Moshe Vardi (Rice Univ),
Paulo Veloso (PUC-Rio)\\
{\bf Submission}:
Two-page abstracts, preferably by e-mail to *** [email-masked] *** must be
RECEIVED by JUNE 1st, 1997 by one of the Co-Chairs of the Organising Committee.
Authors will be notified of acceptance by July 1st, 1997.  The
{\em 4th WoLLIC'97\/} is under the official auspices of the {\em Interest Group
in Pure and Applied Logics\/} ({\em IGPL\/}), The {\em European Association for
Logic, Language and Information\/} ({\em FoLLI\/}), and co-sponsored by the
{\em Association for Symbolic Logic\/} ({\em ASL\/}), and the {\em Sociedade
Brasileira de Computa\c{c}\~ao\/} ({\em SBC\/}).  Abstracts will be published
in the {\em Journal of the IGPL\/} (ISSN 0945-9103) (Oxford University Press)
as part of the meeting report.  Selected contributed papers will be invited for
submission (in full version) to a special issue of the {\em Journal of the
IGPL\/} (http://www.mpi-sb.mpg.de/igpl/Journal).\\
{\bf The location}:
Located near the equatorial line in the northeastern coast of Brazil,
Fortaleza, the capital of the state of Cear\'a, lies by the beach between the
Cear\'a and the Coc\'o rivers, in the middle of 570km (360mi) of sandy beaches
of the State's coast. The hightest point in the city is only 30m (100ft) high
and its beach front is formed of sand dunes up to 10m high and coconut trees.
The weather is dry and sunny. A permanent breeze comes from the ocean and keeps
the air clean and healthy while the temperature rests on a nice level year
around. The lack of rain during most of the year, now a blessing for the
visitors, prevented a definitive settlement in the area of Fortaleza until the
middle of the 17th century. At that time, need to assure the hold of the land,
the Portuguese established the `Fortaleza de Nossa Senhora da Assun\c{c}\~ao'
in the same place where a hundred years before the dutch had built the
Schoonenbroch Fort. Fortaleza, named after the fortress, has been since then an
important trading center and an artistic and cultural center of the country.
(http://www.bec.hosting.ibm.com/pagina/ifortale.html)\\
{\bf Programme Committee}:
A.\ Avron (Tel Aviv Univ., Israel), J.\ van Benthem (ILLC, Amsterdam),
W.\ A.\ Carnielli (UNICAMP, Campinas), N.\ da Costa (USP, S\~ao Paulo),
I.\ Hodkinson (Imperial College, London), L.\ Moss (Indiana Univ., Bloomington),
V.\ de Paiva (Birmingham Univ., UK), T.\ Pequeno (UFC, Fortaleza),
R.\ de Queiroz (UFPE, Recife), P.\ Veloso (PUC, Rio).\\
{\bf Organising Committee}:
M.\ Arag\~ao (UFC), F.\ Carvalho (UFC), A.T.C.\ Martins (UFC),
H.\ Nogueira (UFC), A.G.\ de Oliveira (UFBA/UFPE), M.\ Pequeno (UFC) (Chair),
T.\ Pequeno (UFC), R.\ de Queiroz (UFPE), W.\ Vasconcelos (UECE).\\
For further information, contact the Co-Chairs of Organising Committee:
R.\ de Queiroz, Departamento de Inform\'atica, Universidade Federal de
Pernambuco (UFPE) em Recife, Caixa Postal 7851, Recife, PE 50732-970, Brazil,
e-mail: [email-masked], tel: +55~81~271~8430, fax +55~81~271~8438.\\
M.\ Pequeno, Laborat\'orio de Intelig\^encia Artificial, Univ.\ Federal do
Cear\'a, CP 12166, Fortaleza, CE 60455-760, Brazil, e-mail: [email-masked],
tel.: +55~85~287~1333, fax: +55~85~288~9845.\\
Web homepage: http://www.di.ufpe.br/$^\sim$wollic97

\end{document}