Subject: AI&Math'98 Conference

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 14:16:15 -0400 (AST)

Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 23:14:54 +0200 (IST)
From: ZIPPIE Gonczarowski <[email-masked]>

A considerable mass of categorical fun is expected in AI&Math'98:

                           CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
  -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Fifth International Symposium on

                  ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE AND MATHEMATICS

  -------------------------------------------------------------------------

                 January 4-6, 1998, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

                       http://rutcor.rutgers.edu/~amai

                       Email: [email-masked]

  -------------------------------------------------------------------------

                         APPROACH OF THE SYMPOSIUM

The International Symposium on Artificial Intelligence and Mathematics is
the fifth of a biennial series. Our goal is to foster interactions among
mathematics, theoretical computer science, and artificial intelligence.

The meeting includes paper presentation, invited speakers, and special topic
sessions. Topic sessions in the past have covered computational learning
theory, nonmonotonic reasoning, and computational complexity issues in AI.
(Cf., 1996 Symposium.)

The editorial board of the Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence
serves as the permanent Advisory Committee for the series.

  -------------------------------------------------------------------------

INVITED TALKS will be given by

   * Robert Aumann (Hebrew University, Israel)
   * Joe Halpern (Cornell University)
   * Scott Kirkpatrick (IBM, Yorktown Heights)
   * William McCune (Argonne National Laboratory)

  -------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPECIAL INVITED SESSIONS

The Conference will be hosting the following special invited sessions:

   * Boolean functions and SAT (organized by Ewald Speckenmeyer)
   * Category Theory (organized by David Israel and Robert Zimmer)
   * Constraints (organized by Eugene Freuder)
   * Neural Networks (organized by Eddy Mayoraz)
   * Satisfiability (organized by John Franco)
   * Spatial Reasoning (organized by Boi Faltings)

  -------------------------------------------------------------------------

                              IMPORTANT DATES

                Hotel Reservation:        December 8, 1997
                Preregistration Deadline: December 19, 1997
                AI & Math Symposium:      January 4-6, 1998
  -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Registration

 by December 19:                           $175
 after December 20, and at door:           $200
 Students, by December 19:                 $90
 Students, after December 20, and at door: $100

Payment by check on US bank, made out to FAU Foundation, Account S078,
mailed to:

Fifth International Symposium on AI and Math
Department of Mathematical Sciences
Florida Atlantic University
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33431

Payment by VISA or MasterCard [name of account holder, type, number and
expiration date]
 emailed to:   [email-masked]
 or phoned to: 561-367-3341 [561-297-3341 after November 24]

Hotel

The Symposium will be held at the Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale:

Embassy Suites Hotel
1100 S.E. 17th Street
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

Spacious, newly refurbished two room suites are available at the reduced
rate of $129 single or double occupancy - includes separate living room and
bedroom, microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, two TVs, two voice mail
telephones with dual lines, data ports, queen size sofa sleeper in living
room. You get complimentary full cooked-to-order breakfast with free
newspaper, complimentary manager's cocktail reception each evening,
complimentary 24 hour transportation to and from Ft. Lauderdale airport, and
free parking.

For reservations, call 1-800-362-2779 or 954-527-2700, by December 8, 1997.

Airline

Delta Airlines is our Conference airline - and their discounts have
improved. Call them at 1-800-241-6760, and give our FAU's file number:
102789A.

Car Rental

Avis Rent A Car is our Conference car rental agency, offering us special
rates. Call 1-800-331-1600 (in Canada, 1-800-879-2847), and give the AVIS
account number for the Symposium: J947092.

  -------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Chair:

Martin Golumbic, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat Gan

Conference Chair:

Frederick Hoffman, Florida Atlantic University

Program Co-Chairs:

Endre Boros, Rutgers University
Russ Greiner, Siemens Corporate Research / University of Alberta

Publicity Chair:

Alex Kogan, Rutgers University

Program Committee:

   * Martin Anthony (London School of Economics, England)
   * Peter Auer (Technical University of Graz, Austria)
   * Fahiem Bacchus (Univ. Waterloo, Canada)
   * Peter Bartlett(Australian National University)
   * Peter van Beek (University of Alberta, Canada)
   * Jimi Crawford (i2 Technologies)
   * Adnan Darwiche (American Univ., Lebanon)
   * Rina Dechter (UC Irvine)
   * Thomas Eiter (University of Giessen, Germany)
   * Boi Faltings (EPFL, Switzerland)
   * Ronen Feldman (Bar-Ilan University, Ramat Gan)
   * John Franco (University of Cincinnati)
   * Eugene Freuder (University of New Hampshire)
   * Giorgio Gallo (University of Pisa, Italy)
   * Hector Geffner (Universidad Simón Bolívar, Venezuela)
   * Georg Gottlob (Technical University of Vienna, Austria)
   * Adam Grove (NEC Research)
   * Peter L. Hammer (Rutgers University)
   * David Heckerman (Microsoft Corporation)
   * Michael Kaminski (Technion, Israel)
   * Henry Kautz (AT&T)
   * Helene Kirchner (CNRS-INRIA, Nancy, France)
   * Richard Korf (UCLA)
   * Gerhard Lakemeyer (Aachen, Germany)
   * Jean-Claude Latombe (Stanford)
   * Maurizio Lenzerini (University of Rome, Italy)
   * Alon Levy (AT&T)
   * Fangzhen Lin (Hong Kong University of Science and Technology)
   * Alan Mackworth (UBC)
   * Heikki Mannila (University of Helsinki, Finnland)
   * Eddy Mayoraz (IDIAP, Switzerland)
   * Anil Nerode (Cornell)
   * Jeff Rosenschein (Hebrew University, Israel)
   * Elisha Sacks (Purdue)
   * Dale Schuurmans (University of Pennsylvania)
   * Bart Selman (AT&T)
   * Eduardo D. Sontag (Rutgers University)
   * Ewald Speckenmeyer (University of Koeln, Germany)
   * Moshe Vardi (Rice)
   * Paul Vitanyi (CWI, The Netherlands)

  -------------------------------------------------------------------------

                    A non-final LIST of ACCEPTED PAPERS

12/01/97

Papers are listed alphabetically by the speakers' names -- in all capitals:

   * On the complexity of designing compact perceptrons and some
     consequences, by EDOARDO AMALDI, ([email-masked]), School of
     Operations Research and Theory Center, Cornell University , Ithaca, NY
     14853.
   * Perceive This as That - Analogical and Metaphorical Cognitive
     Transitions with Categorical Tools, by ZIPPORA ARZI-GONCZAROWSKI
     ([email-masked]), Typographics, Ltd. Jerusalem, Israel
   * On the conversion between non-binary and binary constraint satisfaction
     problems, by PETER VAN BEEK ([email-masked]), University of
     Alberta, Canada, and Fahiem Bacchus ([email-masked]),
     University of Waterloo, Canada
   * Characterization of non-monotone non-constructive systems, by PHILIPPE
     BESNARD ([email-masked]), CNRS, IRISA, Campus de Beaulie, F-35042
     Rennes Ced, France Torsten Schaub ([email-masked]), Institut
     fur Informatik, Universitat Potsdam, Postfach 60 15 53, D-14415
     Potsdam, Germany
   * Monotonocity, decision lists  and partially defined discrete functions,
     by JAN C. BIOCH ([email-masked]),
   * A model theory for Figure Ground Location, by THOMAS BITTNER
     ([email-masked]), Department of Geoinformation, Technical
     University of Vienna and National Center of Geographic Information and
     Analysis, NCGIA
   * On the structure of some classes of minimal unsatisfiable formulas in
     CNF, by HANS KLEINE B"UNING ([email-masked]), University of
     Paderborn, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, D-33095
     Paderborn, Germany
   * A Comparison of Linear Logic with Wave Logic, by THOMAS L. CLARKE
     ([email-masked]), University of Central Florida/Institute for
     Simulation and Training, 3280 Progress Drive, Orlando, FL  32826
   * Characterizing consistency based diagnosis, by SYLVIE COSTE-MARQUIS and
     Pierre Marquis ({coste, [email-masked]), CRIL/Université
     d'Artois & IUT de Lens rue de l'Université  S.P. 16  F62307 Lens
     Cedex, France
   * Optimizing with constraints: a case study in scheduling maintenance of
     electric power units, by RINA DECHTER ([email-masked]), and Dan
     Frost ([email-masked]), Information and Computer Science
     Dept., University of California, Irvine, Irvine, CA 92717
   * Applications of Linear Logic to AI and Natural Language Processing
     CHRISTOPHE FOUQUERE ([email-masked]),
     University of Paris, 13, Paris, France
   * Propositional Search with k-Clause Introduction Can be Polynomially
     Simulated by Resolution, by ALLEN VAN GELDER, ([email-masked]),
     University of California at Santa Cruz.
   * A Propositional Theorem Prover to Solve Planning and Other Problems, by
     ALLEN VAN GELDER ([email-masked]), and Fumiaki Okushi
     ([email-masked]), University of California, Santa Cruz
   * Lemma and Cut Strategies for Propositional Model Elimination, by ALLEN
     VAN GELDER ([email-masked]), and Fumiaki Okushi ([email-masked]),
     University of California, Santa Cruz
   * Exact Classification with 2-Layer Neural Nets: Theoretical Results and
     Open Problems, by GAVIN GIBSON, ([email-masked]),
     Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland, Cathy Z. W. Hassell Sweatman
     ([email-masked]) and Bernard Mulgrew
     ([email-masked]), Department of Electrical Engineering, University
     of Edinburgh
   * Randomized Local Search with Trap Handling, by JUN GU ([email-masked]),
     University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong
   * Geometric Foundations for Interval-Based Probabilities, by VU HA
     ([email-masked]), and Peter Haddawy ([email-masked]), Dept of EE &
     CS, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
   * Set-Theoretic Completeness for Epistemic and Conditional Logic, by
     JOSEPH Y. HALPERN ([email-masked]), Dept. Computer Science,
     Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
   * Simulated Annealing and Tabu Search for Constraint Solving, by JIN-KAO
     HAO ([email-masked]), and Jerome Pannier ([email-masked]),
     LGI2P/EMAEERIE, Parc Scientifique Georges Besse, F30000 Nimes, France
   * A closer look at the pure implicational calculus, by PETER HEUSCH
     ([email-masked]), and Ewald Speckenmeyer
     ([email-masked]), Universit"at zu K"oln, Institut f"ur
     Informatik, Pohligstr. 1, D-50969 K"oln, Germany
   * The phase transition in random Horn satisfiability, by GABRIEL ISTRATE
     ([email-masked]), and Mitsunori Ogihara, Department of
     Computer Science, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627
   * Continuous And Discrete-Time Nonlinear Gradient Descent Relative Loss
     Bounds and Convergence, by Manfred Warmuth ([email-masked]), and
     ARUN JAGOTA ([email-masked]), Department of Computer Science,
     University of California at Santa Cruz
   * Constraints and Universal Algebra, by PETER JEAVONS
     ([email-masked]), David Cohen, Department of Computer
     Science, Royal Holloway, University of London, UK, and Justin Pearson
     ([email-masked]), Department of Information Technology, Mid Sweden
     University, S851 70 Sundsvall, Sweden
   * Semantic Dimension: On the Effectiveness of Naive Data Fusion Methods
     in Certain Learning and Detection Problems, by PAUL KANTOR
     ([email-masked]), SCILS, Rutgers University, New Jersey
   * Functional Dependencies in Horn Theories, by Toshihide Ibaraki,
     ALEXANDER KOGAN ([email-masked]), Rutgers University, New
     Jersey, and Kazuhisa Makino
   * Gains from Concurrenting of the Constraint Solving, by RICHARD
     KRAJCOVIECH ([email-masked]), and Margareta Kotocova
     ([email-masked]), Slovak University of Technology,
     Ilkovicova 3, 812 19 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
   * Type Grammar Revisited, by J. LAMBECK ([email-masked]), McGill
     University, Montreal, Canada
   * An Information-Theoretic Approach to Data Mining, by MARK LAST
     ([email-masked]), and Oded Maimon ([email-masked]),
     Department of Industrial Engineering, Tel-Aviv University, Tel-Aviv
     69978, Israel
   * Nonlinear Regularization, by JOERG C. LEMM ([email-masked]),
     Institut fuer Theoretische Physik I, Wilhelm-Klemm Str.9, D-48149
     Muenster, Germany
   * Computational Learning by an Optical Thin-Film Model, by XIAODONG LI
     ([email-masked]), School of Environmental and Information Science,
     Charles Sturt University, PO Box 789, Albury NSW 2640, Australia, and
     Martin Purvis ([email-masked]),
   * Automating the Finite Element Method: a Test Bed for Soft Computing
     Methods, by LARRY MANEVITZ ([email-masked]), Department
     of Computer Science, University of Haifa, Israel, and Dan Givoli,
     Faculty of Aerospace Engineering, Technion, Haifa, Israel
   * Forecasting electricity demand using gated neural networks and
     statistical pruning, by D. MORGAN MANGEAS, ([email-masked]),
     National Research Institute on Transport and Security, France
   * On the computational complexity of recognizing regions classifiable by
     a 2-layer perceptron, by EDDY MAYORAZ, ([email-masked]), IDIAP,
     Switzerland.
   * Planning and presenting construction proofs automatically, by ERICA
     MELIS ([email-masked]), Universit\"at des Saarlandes, Fachbereich
     Informatik, D-66041 Saarbr\"ucken, Germany
   * Combining a logical and an analogical framework for route generation
     and description, by BERNARD MOULIN ([email-masked]), and
     Driss Kettani ([email-masked]), Computer Science
     Department, Pouliot Building, Research Center of Geomatics, Casault
     Building, Laval University, Ste Foy (QC) G1K 7P4, Canada
   * Parallel Cooperative Propositional Theorem Proving, by FUMIAKI KAMIYA
     OKUSHI ([email-masked]), University of California at Santa Cruz.
   * Pattern Recognition using Artificial Neural Networks with White Noise,
     by J. M. Blackledge, and A. OSANLOU ([email-masked]),
     Department of Mathematical Sciences, De Montfort University, Leicester,
     UK
   * Multilayer neural nerworks and polyhedral dichotomies, by Claire Kenyon
     ([email-masked]), LRI, Universite de Paris-Sud, France, and
     H\'EL\`ENE PAUGAM-MOISY ([email-masked]), LIP, Ecole
     Normale Superieure de Lyon, France
   * Generation and comparison of decision strategies for solving
     satisfiability problems, by ROBERT RODOSEK ([email-masked]),
     IC-Park, Imperial College, London SW7 2AZ, England
   * About arc-consistency in semiring-based constraint problems, by Stefano
     Bistarelli ([email-masked]) and FRANCESCA ROSSI,
     ([email-masked]), Dipartimento di Informatica, Corso Italia 40,
     56125 Pisa, Italy.
   * An Algorithm for the Class of Pure Implicational Formulas, by John
     Franco ([email-masked]), University of Cincinnati, Judy
     Goldsmith, University of Kentucky, JOHN SCHLIPF, University of
     Cincinnati, Ewald Speckenmeyer, Universit\"at zu K\"oln, and
     R.~P.~Swaminathan, University of Cincinnati
   * On the Complexity of Computing and Learning with Networks of Spiking
     Neurons, by Wolfgang Maass ([email-masked]) and MICHAEL
     SCHMITT ([email-masked]), Institute for Theoretical
     Computer Science, Technische Universit\"at Graz, Klosterwiesgasse 32/2,
     A--8010 Graz, Austria
   * An Overview of Backtrack Search Satisfiability Algorithms, by JOAO
     MARQUES SILVA ([email-masked]), Cadence European Laboratories,
     IST/INESC, R. Alves Redol, 9, 1, 1000 Lisboa, Portugal
   * Switching Portfolios, by YORAM SINGER ([email-masked]), AT&T
     Labs, Florham Park, New Jersey
   * A Hybrid Concept Language, by Patrick Blackburn
     ([email-masked]), Universitat des Saarlandes, Saarbrucken,
     Germany, and MIROSLAVA TZAKOVA ([email-masked]), Max-Planck
     Institute fur Informatik, Im Stadtwald, 66123 Saarbrucken, Germany
   * Sequential diagnosis of double regular systems, by Endre Boros
     ([email-masked]), and TONGUC UNLUYURT
     ([email-masked]), RUTCOR, Rutgers University, New Jersey
   * Efficient Graph Search by a Smell-Oriented Vertex Process, by ISRAEL A.
     WAGNER ([email-masked]), IBM Haifa Research Lab, Matam, Advanced
     Technology Center, Haifa 31905, Israel Michael
     Lindenbaum ([email-masked]), and Alfred M.
     Bruckstein ([email-masked]).
   * An automated conversion of documents containing math to SGML, by JANUSZ
     WNEK ([email-masked]), and Robert Price, Science
     Applications International Corporation, 1953 Gallows Road, Vienna, VA
     22182
   * Categories and Problem Solving, by ROBERT ZIMMER
     ([email-masked]), Brunel University, London, England

  -------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                  SPONSORS

The Symposium is partially supported by the Annals of Math and AI, Florida
Atlantic University, and the Florida- Israel Institute. Other support is
pending. If additional funding is secured, partial travel subsidies may be
available to junior researchers.
  -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Further information and future announcements can be obtained from the
Conference Web Site at
                       http://rutcor.rutgers.edu/~amai
or by (e)mail to
                         Professor Frederick Hoffman
           Florida Atlantic University, Department of Mathematics
                   PO Box 3091, Boca Raton, FL 33431, USA
                             [email-masked]