Subject: job in Sydney Univ. School of Maths about to be advertised.

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 21:43:48 -0400 (AST)

Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 14:41:37 +1100 (EST)
From: Max Kelly <[email-masked]>

The following is an extract from our "School News", and refers only to a post
in Pure Mathematics, suppressing the others which are in Applied Maths or in
Mathematical Statistics. It contains some junk I didn't get around to
removing, in the way of printing instructiond, but seems to be legible. I'm
sure the Registrar can supply the position-code that is not yet announced, if
anyone applies without it to the given address.
_______
The following positions will be advertised in the Australian newspaper on
January 7, 1998.  The closing date will be January 29, 1998.
<P>

Applications: Four copies are required and should include a curriculum vitae,
list of publications and the names, addresses and fax numbers of three
confidential referees.
<P>

<B>Applications must quote the position reference number which is still to be
advised</B> and be sent to
<PRE>
   The Personnel Officer
   College of Sciences and Technology
   Carslaw Building (F07)
   The University of Sydney
   NSW 2006 
   Australia

<H2>Associate Lecturer/Lecturer</H2>

Applications are invited for an associate lectureship/lectureship in Pure
Mathematics as part of the 'new-blood' program in the School of Mathematics
and Statistics. The School is one of the largest in Australia in terms of
staff, undergraduate and postgraduate students and has active research groups
spanning a wide range of pure mathematics including algebra, analysis,
categories, geometry and topology and nonlinear analysis.
<P>

Applications are encouraged from those with a demonstrated record of research
excellence in any of the above areas, but preference may be given to those
whose research interests would support the research strengths of the School in
algebra (especially computational algebra and representation theory) or
nonlinear analysis. Candidates must have a PhD, a strong research record, a
demonstrated ability to teach Pure Mathematics at undergraduate levels,
possess good written and verbal communication skills and present evidence of a
commitment to excellence in teaching and an ability to work cooper atively
with others.
<P>

The position will be offered on a tenurable basis to an exceptional candidate
or fixed term for a period of five years. In the latter case, there is the
possibility of further offers of employment up to three years, subject to need
and funding. Membership of a University approved superannuation scheme is a
condition of employment for all new employees. Further information may be
obtained from Associate Professor C. J. Durrant, tel. 9351 3373, fax 9351
4534, email
<A HREF="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A> .
<P>

(Level of appointment and responsibility will be commensurate with
qualifications and experience.)
<P>

________
Good luck - Max Kelly.