Subject: Workshop announcement

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 15:42:50 -0400 (AST)

Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 12:01:30 +0000 (GMT)
From: Ronnie Brown <[email-masked]>

Open House for a Workshop on

Global actions, groups and homotopy. 

Professor A Bak and two colleagues will be visiting Bangor under an ARC 
Scheme Dec 15-20, 1997, and a workshop will be held on the interactions 
of the above themes.
 
Global actions: The algebraic counterpart of a topological space. 

Bak's theory introduces an algebraic concept of space with motion, which 
arose from K-theory considerations.  A global action consists of a set X 
and a collection of groups acting on subsets of X. It yields a homotopy 
theory for algebraic structures which includes a natural, intuitive as 
well as rigorous concept of algebraic deformation of morphism.  
The aim of the workshop is to introduce these ideas and to relate them to 
methods of special interest at Bangor, for example algebraic models of 
homotopy types, homotopy coherence, higher dimensional algebra, 
computational aspects. 

All those interested are welcome, but no financial support is available.  
Information on accommodation in Bangor is available from the web site and 
participants are asked to make their own arrangements, although we will 
help if we can. 

Further information will be posted on 

http://www.bangor.ac.uk/ma/research/gagah/globact.htm

Ronnie Brown

Tony Bak

Prof R. Brown, School of Mathematics, 
University of Wales, Bangor      
Dean St., Bangor, Gwynedd LL57 1UT, United Kingdom                               
Tel. direct:+44 1248 382474|office:     382475
fax: +44 1248 383663    
World Wide Web:
home page: http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~mas010/
New article: Higher dimensional group theory

Symbolic Sculpture and Mathematics:
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/SculMath/
Mathematics and Knots:
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/ma/CPM/exhibit/welcome.htm