Subject: PhD Studentship

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 21:09:27 -0400 (AST)

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 17:59:19 GMT
From: Barney Hilken <[email-masked]>

Please could you bring this to the attention of any suitable candidates?
My apologies to those who receive multiple copies.

Barney.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

        **** Research studentship leading to a PhD ****
                   University of Manchester,
		Department of Computer Science.

A new research project, `Topological Duality for Modal, Temporal and
Program Logics', has recently been awarded funding by the Engineering
and Physical Sciences Research Council. A three-year PhD studentship 
is on offer on this project. This is an opportunity to join an 
active research group working in applied logic and theoretical 
Computer Science. The student will gain training in research skills 
and learn how to apply mathematics to fundamental problems in 
Computer Science. The Computer Science Department of Manchester 
University is a large and active department, with research activities 
in many aspects of Computer Science. 

The project aims to use new results in modal logic to describe the
behaviour of computing systems. The student will work on applications to 
dynamic logic (a logic of system states), and through this work
will gain a thorough training in modal logic, category theory,
semantics and theoretical computer science. 

Prerequisites are a good degree, at least half of which is mathematics, 
including knowledge of algebra, topology and logic. Some knowledge of
Computer Science, though not essential, would be useful.

The funding covers fees and subsistence for UK citizens, or fees only
for EU citizens. The start date is as soon as possible, and not later
than 1st October 1998.

Investigators: Dr. David Rydeheard and Dr. Harold Simmons,
               with Dr. Barnaby Hilken.

For further details contact: Dr. David E. Rydeheard,
   email: [email-masked], tel: +161 275 6164

For application forms contact: Mrs. Janet Boyd,
   The Postgraduate Office, Department of Computer Science,
   The University, Oxford Road Mancheter, M13 9PL.
   Quoting: GR/L85756

   Or email: [email-masked]