Subject: Lectureship in Computer Science

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 14:56:29 -0400 (AST)

Date: Fri, 2 Feb 96 09:33:44 GMT
From: Roy L. Crole <[email-masked]>

LEICESTER UNIVERSITY, UK,

DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS & COMPUTER SCIENCE

Lectureship in Computer Science

Applications are invited for a Lectureship in Computer Science in the
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science. This post is tenable from 1
October 1996 or as soon as possible thereafter.

The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science is divided into four groups:
Pure Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science and Statistics. The
Computer Science Group has recently appointed three new lecturers, and will
consist of nine members of staff when Iain A. Stewart takes up his appointment
as Professor of Computer Science in March 1996. This lectureship is intended to
strengthen the group with regard to both teaching and research. The group aims
to expand even further in the near future.

The Computer Science Group is firmly research oriented and current research
interests include: artificial intelligence and expert systems; categorical
logic; complexity theory; concurrency theory; fault-tolerant, real-time and
dependable systems; finite model theory; formal languages and automata theory;
formal methods for software development and programming language design;
information systems; software engineering; type theory. The successful
applicant will be ambitious, able to develop their own research within a
multi-faceted environment, and have a strong research record and
potential. There is no restriction regarding the area of research, and
applicants with expertise in any area of Computer Science, and not just those
listed above, are welcomed.

The new lecturer will be required to teach at undergraduate and postgraduate
level, and to perform administrative duties as directed by the Head of
Department. There will be ample scope for a person of energy, drive and
ambition to assume a rewarding role in a young and dynamic department.

Initial salary, dependent upon qualifications and experience, will be on the
Lecturer Grade A scale 15,154 to 19,848 p.a.

Candidates who are interested in the lectureship are invited, if they so wish,
to contact Professor Iain Stewart (telephone +44 (0)1792 295397, e-mail
[email-masked]) or Dr Rick Thomas (telephone +44 (0)116 252 3411,
email [email-masked]), who would be pleased to discuss the lectureship
further.  Information is also available on the WWW [http://www.mcs.le.ac.uk].

Further particulars and application forms are available from the 

Personnel and Planning Office (Academic Appointments), 
University of Leicester, 
University Road, 
LEICESTER,
LE1 7RH, 
United Kingdom.

Telephone +44 (0)116 252 2758. 

The closing date for applications is 29th March 1996. Please quote reference
A5058.