Subject: H-Day

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 09:00:06 -0400 (AST)

Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 07:31:11 -0500
From: Peter Freyd <[email-masked]>

I remember the time when the only people who could pronounce
the word "functor" without either a sneer or an apologetic little
snort were a few homological algebraists. The first exception
I knew was Paul Halmos. Among other things, he became the single
best salesman for my first book. All of which is a preamble for
my forwarding of the following:

Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 16:49:29 -0600
From: [email-masked] (Leonard Gillman)
Subject: Halmos = 80

         As you may know, Paul will celebrate his 80th birthday on
Sunday March 3rd. I am organizing an email blitz for the occasion, the
idea being to deluge the old gent on that day with electronic birthday
greetings from near and far. You are invited to join the fun. Halmos's
address is
                [email-masked]

      We are all allowed to add any other mathematicians (or
nonmathematicians) we think of. Duplications are inevitable in any
case, but that is no problem. I suggest notifying people at least a
week in advance of H-Day.

        People without access to email on a Sunday should wait until
Monday the 4th to send their greetings.

        Len

==================                             ==================
Leonard Gillman                                      1606 The High Road
[email-masked]                        Austin TX 78746-2236
Fax 512-327-2274  (new)                       Tel 512-327-2277