Subject: TSM - Second Announcement

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 15:59:57 -0400 (AST)

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 19:33:17 -0500 (EST)
From: York cat <[email-masked]>

                           TORONTO SPRING MEETING

         A Weekend Meeting on Category Theory and Its Applications

             YORK UNIVERSITY, North York (Metropolitan Toronto)

                    Saturday/Sunday, April 13/14, 1996

                             Second Announcement

Principal Speakers:

                 Andre JOYAL, Universite de Quebec a Montreal

                 Robert PARE, Dalhousie University, Halifax

                 Cristina PEDICCHIO, Universita di Trieste

Registration:  There is a registration form attached to this message.
If you intend to attend the meeting, please fill it out as soon as possible and
return it to
	                  [email-masked]

There will be a registration fee, payable upon arrival, of $25 per employed
participant ($12 for others) to cover expenses for refreshments and a common
lunch on Saturday.

Contributed talks:  There will be morning and afternoon sessions for
contributed talks on April 13 (starting at 9 a.m.) and a morning session on
April 14 (ending by 2 p.m.). Talks will be a maximum of 30 minutes each. Anyone
who is interested in speaking at the meeting should indicate this on the
registration form. If there are more potential speakers than time slots, the
organizers will endeavour to follow the policy of first-come-first-served.

Location of meeting:  The meeting will take place on the main campus of York
University, 4700 Keele St, North York, which is in the northwestern area of
Metropolitan Toronto. Highway 401 is the best major highway for accessing the
campus by car. There is an exit for Keele St off 401; York University is
approximately 4-5 miles north of 401, north of Finch Avenue. There are traffic
lights and a large sign at the main entrance of the University, which is on the
left-hand (west) side of Keele. Specificc directions about reaching the
university from various accommodations are given below.  Detailed information
concerning the venue of the conference will be given in the Third Announcement.
Maps will be installed on the WWW (see below); hardcopies can be mailed to
participants upon request.

Travel:  Having a car in Toronto would be an advantage and would maximize
enjoyment of the weekend. However, public transportation is good, and we shall
suggest a number of hotels from which the Univeristy is easily accessed.
Pearson International Airport is not far from the University. Taxi fare to the
University or environs is approximately $25-30. Taxi fare to downtown hotels is
approximately $30-40. There is also a bus connection with the downtown hotels
and with the Yorkdale Shopping Centre, which also has a subway stop; for
further information, see below. Participants from Montreal can also book
flights which arrive at the downtown Island Airport. Union Station, the train
terminal, is located downtown across from the Royal York Hotel and not far from
the other downtown hotels. The bus terminal is also  located conveniently
downtown.

Accommodations:  We have reserved a small contingent of guest rooms in the
student dormitories ($25 per night) which will be given with preference to
graduate students. In general we recommend that participants reserve rooms in
one of the North York or downtown hotels listed below. All hotels with the
exception of the Holiday Inn Express (details below) should be called directly.
Your choice of accommodation should be guided by cost and additional planned
activities during your stay. Hotels near the campus will shorten transportation
time to the meeting, but they are generally not in scenic areas. We point out
that for those who can extend their stay or arrive early on Friday, Toronto
offers a wide selection of museums, live theatre, and musical or sporting
events, as well as excellent shopping and restaurants. To take full advantage
of these activities, a downtown hotel or hotel near the subway line is
recommended.

Saturday night: In view of the length of the meeting and the scope of
activities in Toronto, we have decided to forego a saturday evening party. We
will have information on recommended restaurants at the meeting and will
circulate some information on cultural events with the Third Announcement.

Welcome reception on Friday night:  Participants are invited to an informal
welcome party on friday night with wine and cheese in Walter Tholen's home
beginning from 8 p.m. Directions will be given in the Third Announcement.

Information on the web:  Up-dated information on the TSM can be obtained on
Walter Tholen's home page on the World Wide Web:
htpp://www.math.yorku.ca/Who/Faculty/Tholen/menu.html

Please see below for information on hotels, public transport, airport buses,
and for the registration form. The Third Announcement will be circulated before
April 1. We hope to see you in Toronto in April!

Xiaomin Dong
Sandro Fusco
Joan Wick Pelletier
Walter Tholen

********************************************************************************

Hotel list:  This list is divided in two groups, North York and Downtown. The
hotels in North York will allow for a shorter commuting distance to the
university than the downtown hotels. They are comfortable and reasonably
priced. However, with the exception of Novotel, they are located in industrial
or commercial areas of the city and, hence, do not offer attractive scenery.
The downtown hotels provide a generally attractive city ambience, but they may
pose a Sunday morning transportation problem for participants without cars,
since the subway does not run before 9 a.m. on Sunday. Thus, those who stay
downtown must be prepared to take a taxi or a sequence of buses that morning.

                         N O R T H   Y O R K

- Montecassino Place Hotel
  3710 Chesswood Dr. (@ Sheppard)
  Tel. (416) 630-8100

  Executive Queen Room:  $58.04
  Executive Double Room: $58.04

  Remarks:
  - mention York U. (ask for Rosita DelGrande) when booking
  - complimentary continental breakfast, free outdoor parking
  - close to the subway line leading to downtown (take 106 or 108 bus
    eastbound, 5 mins)
  - if arriving by car, exit highway 401 at Allen Road and go north and
    then west on Sheppard
  - to reach the university by public transport, take the 106 bus
    westbound to York U (10 mins)

- Howard Johnson
  Keele St & Hwy 401
  Tel.(416) 636-4656

  Single Room:  $75 (+$10 for breakfast)
  Double Room:  $85 (______"___________)

  Remarks:
  - mention York U when booking
  - free parking (outdoor or covered parkette)
  - if arriving by car, exit highway 401 at Keele Street and go north
  - to reach the university by public transport, take any Keele bus north to
    York U (get off at the main gate of the Universty, 10 min. walk to
              conference building)

- Ramada Hotel 400-401
  1677 Wilson Ave. (Jane & Wilson)
  Tel. (416) 249-8171

  Single Room:  $65
  Double Room:  $65  (+ $10 for each additional person)

  Remarks:
  - mention York University block of rooms when booking
  - free outdoor parking
  - shuttle service from and to the airport (one way fare: $5/person)
  - if arriving by car, exit highway 401 at Black Creek Drive/Jane Street,
    take Jane Street north and then go west on Wilson
  - to reach the university by public transport, take the Wilson bus (96 bus)
    east to Keele, then any Keele bus north to York U (get off at the main
    gate)

- Holiday Inn @ Yorkdale
  Hwy 401 & Dufferin
  Tel. (416) 789-5161

  Single Room:  $93
  Double Room:  $93

  Remarks:
  - mention Cat Theory TSM when booking
  - free outdoor parking
  - walking distance from subway line, and from Yorkdale Shopping Mall (2nd
    largest shopping mall in Toronto)
  - if arriving by car:
    * FROM Westbound Hwy 401: Exit Allen Rd., take Yorkdale Rd N. Follow along
    north side of Yorkdale Mall. At lights, cross over Dufferin St. to
    Bridgeland Ave.; hotel entrance is on south side, turn left to driveway.
    * FROM Eastbound Hwy 401: Exit Dufferin St. South. Turn right into Plaza
    Pontiac dealership; stay to right to enter hotel parking lot.
  - to reach the university by public transport, take the subway north
    to Wilson Stn. (one stop north), then the 106 bus to York U. (25 mins)

- Novotel
  3 ParkHome (3 lights north of Sheppard & Yonge)
  Tel. (416) 733-2929

  Single Room:  $89
  Double Room:  $89

  Remarks:
  - ask for corporate rates for York U.
  - parking available for $8.25/day (IN/OUT privileges)
  - if arriving by car, exit highway 401 at Yonge Street and go north
  - to reach the university by public transport, take the subway to the
    Sheppard station or, on Sunday morning before 9 a.m.,any Yonge bus south to
    Sheppard subway stn., then the 84 bus west to Sentinel Rd, and FINALLY
    take the 106 bus north to York U
  - easy connection to downtown by subway (or by bus throughout the night),
    indoor walk to subway station

 - Holiday Inn Express
  30 Norfinch Drive (@ Finch Ave)
  Tel. (416) 665-3500

  Single Room:  $46
  Double Room:  $46

  Remarks:
  - to obtain the indicated rates, reservation must be done through
    [email-masked] (see Registration Form below)
  - complimentary continental breakfast, free parking
  - if arriving by car, exit highway 400 at Finch Ave, go one block east
  - to reach the university by public transport, take the Finch
    bus (36 or 118) east to Sentinel Rd., then the 106 bus north to York U

                        D O W N T O W N

   Note: all downtown hotels are within walking distance to the subway.

- Days Inn Hotel
  30 Carlton St (@ Yonge St)
  Tel. (416) 977-6655

  Single Room:  $59
  Double Room:  $59 (+ $5 for each additional person)

  Remarks:
  - mention Cat Theory TSM at York U when booking
  - indoor parking available for $11.50/day (IN/OUT privileges)
  - to reach the conference site by public transport, take the subway to
    Wilson Stn., then 106 bus to York U (stops on campus) , OR take the subway
      to Finch Stn., then the 60C or 60F bus to York U (stops off campus)

- Town Inn Hotel
  620 Church St (south of Bloor St)
  Tel. (416) 964-3311
  North East USA call toll free: 1-800-387-2755

  Single Suite (w kitchen):  $75
  Double Suite (w kitchen):  $85

  Remarks:
  - mention York U. Math Conference (ask for Cora) when booking
  - free continental breakfast
  - indoor parking available for $13/day (IN/OUT privileges)
  - to reach the conference site by public transport, see remarks
    for Days Inn Hotel

- Delta Chelsea Inn
  33 Gerrard St. West (@ Yonge St)
  Tel. (416) 595-1975

  Single Room:  $81
  Double Room:  $96

  Remarks:
  - ask for corporate rates for York U when booking
  - underground parking available for $16/day (IN/OUT privileges)
  - to reach the conference site by public transport, see remarks
    for Days Inn Hotel

- Royal York Hotel
  100 Front St. West
  Tel. (416) 863-6333

  Single Room:  $121
  Double Room:  $121 (+ $20 for each additional person)

  Remarks:
  - ask for corporate rates for York U when booking
  - indoor parking available for $10/24 hrs + $4.50 for IN/OUT privileges
  - to reach the conference site by public transport, take the subway to
    Wilson Stn., then 106 bus to York U.

Directions on how to reach the downtown area by car:

  - From Buffalo and Niagara Falls: Queen Elisabeth Way into Gardiner
    Expressway. Exit at Yonge Street, and go north.

  - From Detroit, Windsor or Montreal: Hwy 401 to Yonge Street, then go
    south.

********************************************************************************

Times of operation of public transport:

SATURDAY

First subway train from Union Stn.: 6:04am
Last subway train from Union Stn.: 1:15am
First 106 bus from Wilson Stn.: 6:00am (every 15 mins)
Last 106 bus from Wilson Stn.: 2:15am
First Keele bus from Hwy 401 going north: 5:12am

SUNDAY

First subway train from Union Stn.: 9:16am
First 106 bus from Wilson Stn.: 7:45am (every 30 mins)
Last 106 bus from Wilson Stn.: 1:15am
First Keele bus from Hwy 401 going north: 6:58am

********************************************************************************

Information about Airport Express shuttles

(a) International Airport  <-->  Yorkdale Shopping Mall

    Buses leave every 40 mins.
    First bus at 5:00am
    Ride is approximately 25 mins
    Fare: - one-way ticket  $ 6.90
          - return ticket   $11.95 (valid for 1 year).

(b) International Airport  <-->  Downtown

    Buses leave every 20 mins.
    First bus at 5:00am
    Ride is approximately 40 mins
    Fare: - one-way ticket  $11.45
          - return ticket   $19.70 (valid for 1 year).

    The bus stops at Royal York Hotel, and Delta Chelsea Inn. From there, take
      the north connector (at no extra charge) for the other downtown hotels.

********************************* CUT HERE ************************************

                     Registration Form - Toronto Spring Meeting
 (To be returned to   [email-masked]   at your earliest convenience)

Name:

I intend to attend the meeting: Yes/No

I intend to give a talk: Yes/No/Do not know yet

Title:                                              (desired length 20/30 min.)

Only if applicable, fill out the following:

I would like to reserve
- a room in a student dormitory from (arrival date) to (departure date)
- a (single/double) room in the Holiday Inn Express from (arrival date) to
        (departure date)
Please note: For bookings on campus or in the Holiday Inn Express prepayment
will be reqired. Once we have received your registration, you will be contacted
concerning payment.