Subject: XI EBL'96

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 12:01:15 -0400 (AST)

Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 20:14:09 GMT
From: Ruy de Queiroz <[email-masked]>

                Second  Announcement and Call for Contributions

                        XI Brazilian Logic Conference
                                (XI EBL'96)
                              May 6-10, 1996
                        Salvador (Bahia), Brazil

The XIth Brazilian Logic Conference/Encontro Brasileiro de Logica (XI EBL'96)
will be held in Salvador, Bahia (Brazil), from the 6th to the 10th May 1996,
sponsored by the Brazilian Logic Society (SBL). The conference will be
dedicated to the memory of Professor Mario  Tourasse Teixeira.

Since 1977 the Brazilian logic community has organized national
conferences under the aegis of SBL and in collaboration with the Centre
for Logic, Epistemology and the History of Sciences (CLE) of the State
University of Campinas (UNICAMP). The XI EBL will be held as a parallel
event with the 3rd WoLLIC'96 (3rd Workshop on Logic, Language, Information
and Computation) and the 6th SEMINFO (`6th Informatics Week'), which will
take place in the campus of the Federal University of Bahia.

Contributions are invited in the form of two-page (600 words) abstract in all
areas of logic, including set theory, model theory, non-classical logics,
algebraic logic, logic as related to computer science and philosophical logic.

Submissions:
Submissions, in the form of two-page abstracts (either paper copies or
electronic) must be received by MARCH 8th, 1996 by the Programme Chair or the
Secretary.  Authors will be notified of acceptance by April 6th, 1996.
Abstracts will be published in the Journal of the Interest Group in Pure and
Applied Logics (ISSN 0945-9103). Selected contributed papers will be invited
for submission to a special volume of the Proceedings of the conference to be
published by an international publishing house.

The location:
Salvador, Capital of the Bahia state, the first European settlement of
Portuguese America and the first Capital of Brazil, is where all the most
important colonial buildings were constructed: churches, convents, palaces,
forts and many other monuments.  Part of the city historical center has been
safekept by UNESCO since 1985. Five hundred years of blending Native American,
Portuguese, and African influences have left a rich culture to its people, which
can be felt on its music, food, and mysticism.  Salvador is located on the
northeastern coast of Brazil and the sun shines year round with the average
temperature of 25 degrees Celsius.  It is surrounded by palm trees and beaches
with warm water.  City population is around 2.5 million and life style is quite
relaxed.

Programme Chair:
Prof. W. A. Carnielli and Prof. I. M. L. D'Ottaviano, Department of Philosophy
and CLE, UNICAMP, P.O. Box 6133, 13081-970 Campinas, SP, Brazil,
e-mail: [email-masked], [email-masked].
Tel/Fax: +55 192 393269

Programme Committee:
X. Caicedo (Univ. de Los Andes, Bogota')
W. A. Carnielli (UNICAMP, Campinas)
N. C. A. da Costa (USP, Sao Paulo)
J. J. da Silva (UNESP, Rio Claro)
R. de Queiroz (UFPE, Recife)
C. A. Di Prisco (IVIC, Caracas)
I. M. L. D'Ottaviano (UNICAMP,Campinas)
L. C. P. D. Pereira  (PUC, Rio de Janeiro)
A. M. A. Sette (UNICAMP, Campinas)
M. Wrigley (UNICAMP, Campinas).

Registration and further information: please contact
Secretary of XI EBL
CLE/UNICAMP, C.P. 6133
13081-970 Campinas, SP
Brazil
e-mail: [email-masked]
Tel/Fax: +55 192 393269