Subject: two research positions

From: categories <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 09:48:42 -0400 (AST)

Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 12:06:46 +1100
From: Barry Jay <[email-masked]>

        The Algorithms and Languages Group
        ==================================

        University of Technology, Sydney
        http://linus.socs.uts.edu.au/~shape

                Two positions vacant
                --------------------

The Shape project is developing some exciting new ideas in the
semantics of data types so that they can be incorporated into
programming languages. The key concept is that data is stored
in shapes (or containers, or structures) which can be described and
manipulated separately from the data. Expected benefits are: 

      - that programs will be able to act on inputs of arbitrary shape
        (shape polymorphism); 
      - that shape errors (e.g. array bound errors) can be detected
        during compilation (shape analysis), and;
      - that (most) run-time operations will act on arrays.

The ALG currently has two staff and four graduate students, with
additional collaborators in Europe. 

Post-doctoral Research Fellowship
---------------------------------

This position is associated with an ARC large grant to use shape to
develop a parallel programming language suitable for numerical
analysis. The successful applicant will assist in the design and
implementation of the language. The position is full-time for two
years at a salary range of $43,042 - $44,657 p.a., to start as soon as
possible.

A doctorate in computer science (or its equivalent) is essential.  The
candidate must be able to make a significant contribution to the
project. The ideal candidate will have experience in implementing
languages on parallel computers, optimisation of programs for parallel
computers, functional programming, or type theory. The candidate must
have initiative, be able to work well as part of a team, and
communicate effectively.

Research Assistant (Level 5)
----------------------------

This position is associated with an ARC small grant to produce a
functional programming language that supports both shape polymorphism
and the core types of ML. The position is for a programmer to build an
interpreter for a prototype language, under supervision. Initially,
the position is full-time for six months, though extensions may be
possible. A part-time position over a longer period is also
possible. The salary range is $29,332 - $33,556 p.a.

A bachelor's degree in computer science or mathematics is
essential. The candidate must have good programming experience,
preferably with experience in functional programming. The candidate
must be able to work well without close supervision, interact well
with a team, and communicate effectively.

Applicants for both positions should address initial enquiries to
Barry Jay ([email-masked]). Copies of the selection criteria are
available on request.  Equal Employment Opportunity is University
Policy. Applications which should include the names addresses, phone,
fax and email of 3 referees should be sent to the undersigned by 5th
February, 1995, to:

*************************************************************************
| Dr C.Barry Jay,                                                       |
| Head, Algorithms and Languages Group, Phone: (61 2) 330 1814          |
| School of Computing Sciences,         Fax:   (61 2) 330 1807          |
| University of Technology, Sydney,     e-mail: [email-masked]     |
| P.O. Box 123 Broadway, 2007,          www: linus.socs.uts.edu.au/~cbj |
| Australia.                         ftp: ftp.socs.uts.edu.au/Users/cbj |
*************************************************************************